stuck glow plug removal?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much true, although on rare occasion a Beru has defied principle. Note in that picture of the home-made removal tool, that the glowplug is one with a swollen tip. What? You didn't notice it was swollen? Now you can see just how little they have to swell to totally ruin your day.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully they are easy to get at. But what I did was use a crapload of pblaster then with my mini impact (electric) I just kept going in and out in and out. When it got past the threads I bent a cheap pair of wire strippers (the ones with the red plastic handles) to a 90 angle and used them to help pull up on the up stroke. and gradually it (#1) came out lil by lil. Be prepared to spend some time and patience. It is absolutley possible just try not to tweak the gp left and right too much cause that will increase your chance of breaking it.. You want to go up and down as straight as possible. It will work it's way out with time.

and then whatever oddball gps you have in there immediatly replace with motorcraft beru,s. I did two at a time till they were done.

anthonyj

Reaction score
I have taken a nut that fits the glow plug, cut it in halve and put around the gp and use a box end wrench to hold it and and unscrew the plug. works like the high priced tool recommended early.

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but I am having this issue. Is PB Blaster still the best or is there a better product out there now (Sea Foam ...)

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had the problem, but plenty of threads about it.
In Post# 8 icanfixall mentioned "Mercury Engine Carbon Remover". Maybe the same as any over the counter miracle cure.

You just need something to soften the carbon (if thats the problem) and work it to slowly grind off the buildup.
I have never used Sea Foam, I have Kano kroil which I would use.

Goat

264WSM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched the Merc Carbon stuff and it is no longer available - or at least not under that name.

Team Dirt

Reaction score
i have two glow plugs that i have unthreaded from the head but cannot pull the out i even tried cranking it with them unthreaded to see if it would blow them out but don't know how to prythem out other than that and pulling on them hard with pliers which didn't work either, any experienced help is appreciated
All mine were mushroomed when I got my truck. Used a slide hammer with the vise grips threaded to the end and tapped them all out no issue. Thought I was screwed but it was no big deal. Put new ones in and all good.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread, but I am having this issue. Is PB Blaster still the best or is there a better product out there now (Sea Foam ...)
Pb or Marvel mystery oil works good also with it loose and soaked try starting to blow it out also aslide hammer works but be tender . IV used the soak and crank it over even had it start several times work 90% of the time I think the oil in the cylinder helps a bunch