stuck glow plug removal?

06cumminspower

Reaction score
i have two glow plugs that i have unthreaded from the head but cannot pull the out i even tried cranking it with them unthreaded to see if it would blow them out but don't know how to prythem out other than that and pulling on them hard with pliers which didn't work either, any experienced help is appreciated

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yes stop messing with them for now leave them unscrewed and spray some PB blaster around them and let them sit a couple days if you can ocasionally respraying with PB blaster. after you get them out crank the motor over to blow any excess blaster out of the cylinders to avoid hydrolocking

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Good luck. Most likely the tips are mushroomed and when yo pull them out the tips will break into pieces and fall into the cylinder. Then you will be pulling the heads

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
make sure the cyl u are working on is at TDC. that way if it does break off, it cant drop into the cyl. if it does break, pull that cyls injector and put a vacuum with a rag over the end to the injector hole and copressed air to the gp hole. that should pull it out. placing the rag over the vacuum end will stop the tip from going into the vacuum, and shows u that it is out of the head.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do as posted above... With the piston at top dead center there is only around 40 thousands clearance between the head and piston. So nothing much can drop into the cylinder. Hopefully the soaking will soften the carbon buildup on the plugs. Sorry for the possibility of pulling the heads.... Some shops have just broken off the tips and started the motors. Then rev the hell out of them trying to blow the tip out the exhaust valve. All that does is dent the hell out of the piston....:angel: Not a good thing at all so don't take that advice and try to rev them out....

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Do as posted above... With the piston at top dead center there is only around 40 thousands clearance between the head and piston. So nothing much can drop into the cylinder. Hopefully the soaking will soften the carbon buildup on the plugs. Sorry for the possibility of pulling the heads.... Some shops have just broken off the tips and started the motors. Then rev the hell out of them trying to blow the tip out the exhaust valve. All that does is dent the hell out of the piston....:angel: Not a good thing at all so don't take that advice and try to rev them out....

that is also the way told to do it on a 6.5/6.2 in the military i just read. they pull em out, put fresh ones in, fire it up and floor it.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. Most likely the tips are mushroomed and when yo pull them out the tips will break into pieces and fall into the cylinder. Then you will be pulling the heads
Nothing like putting the fear in someone -Lame
When it could simply be a little carbon build-up on the GP like I've had a few times.
Soaking with Blaster and patiently working the GP in and out 1/8 to 1/4 turns should get that ****** out.
If real bad, it can take several hours or even a few days >>> but let the Blaster do it's work in dissolving the carbon.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you know of a good marine bost engine rebuilder try getting some Mercury Engine Carbon Remover. They are the only ones I know of that make the stuff. It disolves carbon nicely. If used don't pour too much into the glowplug hole because it will flood the cylinder and hydrolock them. Leave out the plugs and crank the motor over by hand. Then if it turns free use the starter to blow out the rest if any is trapped. Be careful. Anything in the cylinders will blow out like a bullet. The compression is high in these motors so cover the open holes with rags....

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Nothing like putting the fear in someone -Lame
When it could simply be a little carbon build-up on the GP like I've had a few times.
Soaking with Blaster and patiently working the GP in and out 1/8 to 1/4 turns should get that ****** out.
If real bad, it can take several hours or even a few days >>> but let the Blaster do it's work in dissolving the carbon.

Rather have them leave a non function GP in the head then pull it out, brake the tip then have to pull the head. I always look at things as worse case senerio then if they dont go bad it is great.

Hows that saying go "plan for the worst, hope for the best"

I have pulled many gp that mushroomed out and broke off pulling them out. No amount of PB blaster will fix this

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That tool has split nuts that wrap around the glow plugs thread so that you just keep turning the plug and pry it out.
I used a slid hammer on the one that I had stick.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little pricey but throwing this out there in case someone's used them:
http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/c...&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=productfeeds

Amen. I've had a set for 12 years now and they have saved my life several times working on stubborn glowplugs. Soak the plug down with a good quality penetrant and wrap the correct nut around the threads. Back out till the glowplug gets past the treads. Insert spacer and repeat. For lube I recommend JB-80 if you can find it otherwise a can of Kroil.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I did to get mine out. Used a piece of flat bar, drill/tap hole, cut it not on center of hole, then hand grind so it would snap onto the glowplug. The spacers are for extra height.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86