Straps for 38 gallon tank

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of swapping out my rear 19 gal tank to a 38. But I can't find straps for it. You folks that did the swap- where did you get those straps? For the 87 F250.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replace the rear tank on my 86 a little over 2 years ago to the 38 gallon F26E. This is a 2 wheel drive.
The tank comes with 4 longer bolts, 4 length of pipes to slip over the bolts for the extension, plus some copper tubing and other stuff to extend the pick up tube.

I used the same lower straps as well as the 2 upper ones. I have no skid plate.

The special treat was, the bolts were an inch or so too short, and had to buy 4 longer bolts.

For the most part it is plug and play.

I always love this line from ****** fornia.
Always looking out for our well being.

Attention California Customers - PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm -

Goat

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the F26E comes with hardware to extend the skid plate.
the top straps work like stock.

however, i delete the skid plate, and used some 1/4" x 1" strap with a strip of leather under it

You must be registered for see images attach

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is right or not but my rear tank did not have straps. It was held by the skid plate.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if this is right or not but my rear tank did not have straps. It was held by the skid plate.

thats the way mine is too. so far it hasn't caused and issue, but it does worry me a little bit. i have thought about getting straps for it, but just havent yet.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
however, i delete the skid plate, and used some 1/4" x 1" strap with a strip of leather under it

You must be registered for see images attach

1/4" straps!? Is that what the 38 gallon tanks came with stock? The tanks on my trucks were maybe 16 gauge at best.

My new F-SuperDuty came with it's rear tank held on with ratchet straps. I have some 1/16" x 1" galvanized that I will be using to replace those with once I get the utility bed off the truck.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats the way mine is too. so far it hasn't caused and issue, but it does worry me a little bit. i have thought about getting straps for it, but just havent yet.
I wouldn’t say mine has worried me, it’s been like that for a year now and I haven’t had any issues, I think it came like that.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say mine has worried me, it’s been like that for a year now and I haven’t had any issues, I think it came like that.

yeah but I have the 38 gallon tank back there. that's a lot more weight its got to hold up. That said its been over a year and nothing is bent or shifted.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but I have the 38 gallon tank back there. that's a lot more weight its got to hold up. That said its been over a year and nothing is bent or shifted.
I have the big tank as well. Like you said it hasn’t shifted or anything. I think in a way the skid plate will support it just as good as the straps as long as you used good bolts/all thread

1983idi

Reaction score
I replace the rear tank on my 86 a little over 2 years ago to the 38 gallon F26E. This is a 2 wheel drive.
The tank comes with 4 longer bolts, 4 length of pipes to slip over the bolts for the extension, plus some copper tubing and other stuff to extend the pick up tube.

I used the same lower straps as well as the 2 upper ones. I have no skid plate.

The special treat was, the bolts were an inch or so too short, and had to buy 4 longer bolts.

For the most part it is plug and play.

I always love this line from ****** fornia.
Always looking out for our well being.

Attention California Customers - PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm -

Goat

I have also bought the 38 gallon and found the same exact issue. New bolts where too short! Had to go to ace and buy longer ones. I had no skid plate mine was held in by 2 very think pieces of steel that span across the bottom of the tank. I'll post pics later if I have time.

Anyways my install went ok. Hardest part for me was the filler neck. I wouldn't call it pug and play myself. It's all easy enough but it requires cutting the pick up tube in half and soldering a piece of copper tube in the middle as well as extending the level sender wires. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SOLDER 100% air tight. If you don't you'll suck air. I sucked on mine with my finger over the end and made sure it held suction for a minute. Kinda nasty but better than pulling the tank later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel