STP oil filter not going on too good?

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a STP oil filter from auto zone and it's not threading on too good. The part number is right, and it has the same thread size as the Napa filter I took off, but the thread is longer and it's getting tight halfway through installing it.-cuss I wanted to get this done tonight because I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon, and I still need to trouble shoot an injector leak (most likely O-ring because I just replaced all the injection hoses).

Any ideas what the heck is going on? I guess i can wait to buy the one from Napa tomorrow, but that's not my best case scenario. I can go back to autozone because they're open.

What oil filter should I use on my 6.9 IDI?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id stick with the Napa filter. Their filters are made by wix witch is a good filter.

I would not chance messing up the threads on your engine either.

The Motorcraft FL1995 powerstroke filter also works great and holds and extra quart. Most wal marts carry them if your trying to get a filter tonight. If you have one close that stay open late or 24 hours anyway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Walmart carries both the small and the large filters that fit our rigs. Sorry Mel...:angel:

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after checking and double checking, the threads on the male part seemed fine, and I think is a harder metal. I got it on there.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck is causing a fule injector laek. There's only one leak, and I checked the o-rings and they seem fine. Any thoughts?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
On that filter are you sure there is not a rubber oring on the center shaft left from a previous filter that is in the way? or the outer oring from the last filter still stuck up there

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cross threaded one once and had to spend about an hour laying underneth the truck with a small triangle file. I cleaned them up, but I'm very careful now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need orings or a return kit let me know.

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need orings or a return kit let me know.

I ended up using the orings off of the one injector I replaced due to to my stripping it when I was putting it back together, and it worked. What a rookie mistake. I'm in a time crunch and I'm probably moving faster than I should. I'm assuming that I will need new o-rings for all the injectors, or at least some in case I spring a leak, so yes I'm interested. The only thing is we're scheduled to be leaving Portland at around 4 or 5 pm. Any idea where else in Portland I can find some?

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cross threaded one once and had to spend about an hour laying underneth the truck with a small triangle file. I cleaned them up, but I'm very careful now.

Yeah I'm starting to think that's what I did. I hate to admit it, but I wrenched it on there and it seems to be holding. Since I'm fairly new to owning this van, I decided that maybe that's how they go on. cookoo I noticed a slight drop of oil after test driving her down the highway, but I figured it also could be residual oil that heated up and collected on the bottom. I'm not sure if I should leave it for now, or drain the oil again and take a closer look?

Working on these rigs is quite a humbling experience.:hail:hail