still no start

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted but I need help. As some of you may knowi found algae in my tanks. And I've been trying the crack the lines and crank method but I'm not getting anywhere so I pulled the GPs out and still No dice. So does any one have any ideas? I just want to drive the darn thing now.

Thanks
Andrew

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you getting any fuel out of the schrader valve at the fuel filter? I am not sure the 6.9's have that though.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anything come out when you did all that cracking? Algae can clog up fuel lines robbing the engine..
Was the vehicle sitting for a while?

Return lines might be letting air in if thy are leaky, that will make hard/no start.

Check the batts/cables, if you dont have enough RPM they wont start happily especially after charging the glow plugs.

If you got air, heat, fuel, rotation, and compression she'll start..

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I filled the filter before I installed it. And after all the cranking it just barely had a slight wetness on the threads of the injector inlets. I think I Just might need to keep up the crankingand see what happens

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The starter may just be your problem. These motors need to turn over fast enough to create heat so the fuel burns off. Thats why you should not be able to count the revolutions the starter is making the motor turn over. A gear reduction starter will do that for you. The oem direct drive starters are just too slow. All the battery leads must be clean and tight. No corrosion. Charged up and working fine. Hold the injection pump at wide open throttle. This pushes more fuel to the injectors.Very little fuel reaches the injectors at idle. You wont see it dripping off a line either. The injection pump has a screen in the nose cone too. That may have some alge blocking it. You will need to remove the pump and there is special instructions on how to take that apart. Careful because there is several small pieces in this area that will fall out. Also there is an alignment pin so all this gets back together correctly.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
The starter may just be your problem. These motors need to turn over fast enough to create heat so the fuel burns off. Thats why you should not be able to count the revolutions the starter is making the motor turn over. A gear reduction starter will do that for you. The oem direct drive starters are just too slow. All the battery leads must be clean and tight. No corrosion. Charged up and working fine. Hold the injection pump at wide open throttle. This pushes more fuel to the injectors.Very little fuel reaches the injectors at idle. You wont see it dripping off a line either. The injection pump has a screen in the nose cone too. That may have some alge blocking it. You will need to remove the pump and there is special instructions on how to take that apart. Careful because there is several small pieces in this area that will fall out. Also there is an alignment pin so all this gets back together correctly.

While I was cranking it I had the batterys charged and on a charger. The starter was replaced before I bought the truck. I would prefer to not pull the IP but if its gotta be done then its gotta be done.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried cracking the line going from the fuel pump to the filter to see if you have any pressure there? I went through the same things you are going through on my last motor.

I ended up replacing the filter and fuel pump as well as disconnecting the lines and using a compressor to blow all the crap out of the lines. I had a piece crap acting as a valve. It would allow the motor to idle when revved up it would cut off fuel flow and kill the motor.