steering stabilizer ?s

zpd307

Reaction score
i got a kyb stabilizer off of ebay, it was supposed to be complete...... well, it was missing the instructions and some hardware....... i tried looking on the web for install instructions, but not a whole lot of luck. so, i installed it with the stabilizer parallel with the center link and i turned wheels to the farthest left and moved the ram in a 1/2 inch so it wasnt over extended. i moved the wheels back the other way to make sure it wouldnt bottom out. is there anything i missed......?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sounds like you pretty much got it. In fact I dont remember anything about the stabilizer over extending. You just need to make sure your steering has full travel both ways and it's considered set.

zpd307

Reaction score
thats why i turned the wheel to the max left. so i wouldnt put it in the wrong spot and have it too short and not be able to turn all the way.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Alternatively measure up the stroke of the damper, manually put it in the middle of said stroke, put wheels on truck centered and pointing forward, then bolt up the damper.

Oh, and that reminds me that I need to mail out Mat's damper, and to scavenge a second one for myself cause one damper just ain't cutting it on bad roads.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Oh, and that reminds me that I need to mail out Mat's damper, and to scavenge a second one for myself cause one damper just ain't cutting it on bad roads.

A good condition stock dampener does a pretty nice job on nasty roads. Have you checked the other steering parts and the front bearings for looseness?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert, my truck has new ball joints and new steering linkage, also new bearings in the front wheels. Steering damper is new too. My problem is that I'm running oversized tires on a truck that has very very little caster due to the rear end riding so much higher than the front when not loaded, really the only way I can remedy the situation is either drop the rear, lift the front, twist the I-beams, or add anther damper... guess which is cheapest and easiest ;)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robert, my truck has new ball joints and new steering linkage, also new bearings in the front wheels. Steering damper is new too. My problem is that I'm running oversized tires on a truck that has very very little caster due to the rear end riding so much higher than the front when not loaded, really the only way I can remedy the situation is either drop the rear, lift the front, twist the I-beams, or add anther damper... guess which is cheapest and easiest ;)

Gotcha;Sweet Only problem you start running into with multiple dampers is the steering starts getting mighty heavy, next thing you know, you start breaking linkages outboard of the dampers due to to much dampening. I was a dealer mechanic at a Jeep dealer manyMany years ago and this was a common occourance . They would put these super tight double dampeners on and next thing it was coming in the shop on a hook with a snapped steering link because the things don't let the wheels float enough and something has to give( and that was back when Jeeps were still made of metal). Just something to keep in mind. Might not want to go too stiff on the things

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only using factory-specs steering dampers, nothing crazy offroad-designed. Also the way I'll have them arranged the only link outboard of them will be the outer tie rods. And considering most of my driving is on paved roads, I think I'll be alright.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score

yeah i was just wondering about that today no big rush though ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm only using factory-specs steering dampers, nothing crazy offroad-designed. Also the way I'll have them arranged the only link outboard of them will be the outer tie rods. And considering most of my driving is on paved roads, I think I'll be alright.

That shouldn't be too bad. It's when you get a pair of those rough country monsters on there that stuff starts snapping . Just pay attention to the butt dyno If it feels too tight, consider swapping one of the dampers for a boneyard non gas shock that matches the same size but less resistance.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mat, I'll get around to it soon :D

Robert, I sure will keep an eye on it, I may actually get new front tires and alignment first and then see how she feels and proceed accordingly.