steering damper?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The one on My truck is too soft, I'd like to make it steadier and not so loose. What are My best options? and is it steering damper or steering shock the best way to refer to it? The guys at the local autoparts don't seem to find it with My description :rolleyes: I'll try signs language next :mad: .

Thank You.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering stabilizer is the generally accepted term - at least in Jeep circles.

The dolts at the auto parts store probably aren't going to be able to find it because I don't think it is a stock piece - its and aftermarket item, isin't it?

I'm basing that on the fact that I have a 2WD and a 4WD and I'm pretty sure neither one of them have one....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ez-
it's an aftermarket item for our trucks. best is to drop by a shop that sells 4wd goodies and they can set you up. I buy the cheapest Rancho unit and paint it black before mounting. There's nothing special about them outside of really tight valving on both directions of travel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
How much do steering stabilizers effect the steering. I hate having to go down the road always correcting the steering to track straight, it just down right ****** me off. Do they help them track down the road any better or are they a waste of money.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Cool I was thinking rancho's too since I have their shocks and they work great. I see if there is anyone carrying 4x4 stuff around here.

Thank You.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering stabilizers were an option for some CC duallys. I have one on mine, uses factory holes in the steering linkage. I have had good luck with rancho in the past. I need to replace mine also.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do steering stabilizers effect the steering. I hate having to go down the road always correcting the steering to track straight, it just down right ****** me off. Do they help them track down the road any better or are they a waste of money.

Steering stabilizers are definitely NOT a waste of money.

They won't cure all steering ills.

What they will do is STABILIZE the steering, by absorbing shocks before they slam into the various steering components, especially the column/shaft, and the gear itself.

Also, that big long tie-rod can have some "WHIP" from simply being so long, kind of like a fishing-pole; a stabilizer will absorb/eliminate most of this whip.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
More than likely the problem is inside the steering box. Our steering gears are known to have poor, loose fitting ball bearing in the recirculating ball sector shaft. Start your truck and with it idling have someone move the steering wheel back and forth until the wheels just start to move. Watch the rag joint going into the gear and the output shaft and steering arm. You will most likely see there is a fair of lost motion. Mine was that way and my rig only has 40,000 miles on it.

The cure is Red Head Steering Gears 206-364-3333 in Seattle. Harvey the owner has come up with oversized balls for them that really takes the slop out of the gear. He keeps about 15 of them rebuilt on the shelf all the time. The best money I have spent!

There is no comparison between one of his gears and one you would get from NAPA or Schucks.

Jim

Exekiel69

Reaction score
More than likely the problem is inside the steering box. Our steering gears are known to have poor, loose fitting ball bearing in the recirculating ball sector shaft. Start your truck and with it idling have someone move the steering wheel back and forth until the wheels just start to move. Watch the rag joint going into the gear and the output shaft and steering arm. You will most likely see there is a fair of lost motion. Mine was that way and my rig only has 40,000 miles on it.

The cure is Red Head Steering Gears 206-364-3333 in Seattle. Harvey the owner has come up with oversized balls for them that really takes the slop out of the gear. He keeps about 15 of them rebuilt on the shelf all the time. The best money I have spent!

There is no comparison between one of his gears and one you would get from NAPA or Schucks.

Jim

That is the one I wanted when My gear box started leaking and could not get a hold of them and I was on a hurry so I just bought the one from napa but if I ever get the money I will order one with more time, what are they selling for?

Thank You.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree with slop in the gearbox. If that is all the slop it can be adjusted. If you lay under the gear box and look up you will see a screw and lock nut. Back the nut off and turn the screw in a little at a time till it tightens up. You want a little play so the gear doesn't chew itself up. This only works if the slop is in the gear box. I did my buddies psd yesterday he thinks I worked a miracle

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree with slop in the gearbox. If that is all the slop it can be adjusted. If you lay under the gear box and look up you will see a screw and lock nut. Back the nut off and turn the screw in a little at a time till it tightens up. You want a little play so the gear doesn't chew itself up. This only works if the slop is in the gear box. I did my buddies psd yesterday he thinks I worked a miracle
Yeah, adjusting the gear lash in the steering box can help a lot....

.....BUT BE VERY CAREFUL! Ford steering boxes are notorious for failing if you overdo this adjustment AT ALL.

Make small adjustments - like 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn at a time - and drive it at least a day in between adjustments. If you adjust it up too tight it will self destruct in no time flat - don't ask me how I know, just take my word for it ;)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have an alignment issue. nothing a steering damper will solve.
BUT.......once you live to tell about your "deathwobble" experience.....the steering dampner will solve that;Sweet

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
DO NOT try to get that slop out with the mesh screw. You will bind the torque rod inside the gear and you will have one weird driving truck. If you try tightening the mesh do it with both front wheels off the ground and with the engine running slowly turn the wheel back and forth past center until you feel a slight tightening when you go past center. Back off a little from there.
No amount of turning that screw will fix the excessive clearance in the recirculating ball system.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online