Steering Column Gets Hot - Suggestions?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I don't know why it does this, but it has done it since I've had the truck. Now, with the summer heat, it gets hot enough that it's uncomfortable if I try to hold my hand on it. It's ruined 2 blinker assemblies now. I'm clueless. Anyone?

Max Power

Reaction score
Famous ford Ignition switch problems? I would change the ignition switch to be on the safe side or it might burn your truck down. The ignition switch is the onlything with enough current in the column to make it that hot. Change it ASAP or make sure you are insured well.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The recall number was 95S28 for the ignition switch on trucks made from 1988 to 1990. I would guess that the recall is over, but definitely replace the switch.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, where does it get hot at? Sounds pretty weird. Do you think it is exhaust heat radiating into it? I can't imagine an ignition switch getting hot enough to warm the whole column without incinerating itself first.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the summer months mine gets very hot also.
Way back I did get the recall and new switch... still gets hot.
I belive it has something to do with heat radiating up from the steering shaft engine compartment.
Colder months, no problem.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mine does it too.
it isn't the ignition switch (or at least on mine)

the whole column gets hot... typically takes 60+ miles before it happens, but it gets fairly hot.

I figured it was engine heat finding it's way up the steering much like 'hammerdown.

if you figure out how to stop it, let me know!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
the whole column gets hot... typically takes 60+ miles before it happens, but it gets fairly hot.

Sorry, long day trip on the road. Mel, I'm having the same simptoms as above. It definiately is the hottest on longer rides but gets warm/hot on mid range rides. Short runs, not noticeable.

How long ago did this recall come out. I'm sure it would have been addressed by the FD if it was that long ago.

I don't think it's that hot under the hood but I haven't really checked. My EGT's are about 600-800 on the longer rides but maybe that doesn't matter? :confused:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i have seen several older model trucks that the plastic pieces on the bottom of the column (bottom plate, bushings, or rag joint) get so hot it melted a little from it being so close to the exhaust... being both of my trucks that did this was gassers (79 w/460 and 81 w/351W), i'm sure it would be worse in a diesel due to it being bigger and hotter

analog

Reaction score
I just took my first road trip with my turbo installed, and guess what, my column now gets hot too. Didn't do it before the turbo, so I can only assume the extra piping that goes up past the firewall is to blame. I'm going to try to get some more heat shield on it to see if it solves the problem. But, my guess is your turbo is also to blame.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
analog said:
I just took my first road trip with my turbo installed, and guess what, my column now gets hot too. Didn't do it before the turbo, so I can only assume the extra piping that goes up past the firewall is to blame. I'm going to try to get some more heat shield on it to see if it solves the problem. But, my guess is your turbo is also to blame.

Mine did this pre turbo. I'm not sure if it was as hot, but it was hot. I feel a little better knowing others have the same condition though. Guess I'll buy some heat shield too.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine gets hot too, think it is because of the turbo being so close to the firewall, mine usually takes awhile to warm up and after a long pull it is warm, not enough to burn me, but warm nonetheless. Gotta be the turbo putting some heat into the firewall area of the truck. Scotty