Steering Box Adjustment

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
What is the procedure for adjusting the steering box. My new CC has a lot of play in the steering. Was told to adjust the steering box. Anyone also know when the box is beyond adjusting and needing replaced?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
theres a jam nut on the steering box. loosen the jamb nut an theres an allen head screw. i think you turn it clockwise to tighten it up?? dont do it much at a time just a little could be all it needs

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe counter clockwise tightens it up. I would check all your tie rod ends and steering components first, these fords love to eat them up. I have never had much luck trying to tighten up a box, usually if they are that sloppy they are ready to be replaced.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
idk i had an f150 that could turn the steering halfway before it started turning. played with that screw for a few mins till i got it within a a 1/4 or an 1/8 before it turned. ive never had to replace the steering box because of play.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with adjusting the box is you often run into poor return to center condition when you get it tighten back up. Its worth a try but Im willing to bet your play is in your steering components themselves. Get under there and check everything out before you jump to any conclusions.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clockwise at the screw tightens up the slop in the box, basically it increases the preload on one of the shafts inside it. But, like said, if you tighten up the thing too much it will get sticky and won't like to return to center when you let go of the wheel.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best way to adjust the box is to disconnect the tie rod from the pitman arm. Then tighten up the box adjuster a little bit at a time, like 1/8 of a turn, locking it down each time until you get a very slight resistance at the straight ahead midpoint while turning the steering wheel side to side. The resistance at the straight ahead position should be about 1 pound at the edge of the steering wheel. Too much will make the box not return to center and will also increase wear in the box.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use caution with that box > too tight will make the box not return to center and VERY DANGEROUS when at highway speeds!:eek:

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Check the steering shaft coming out of the column too. My shaft is worn down a lot and in need of replacement. I found that out by cutting the silly plastic guard off the area around the rag joint.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Think I figured it out, whats that dang rubber piece called thats on the steering shaft right before it goes into the darn steering box? Mine is about gone! I cant remember what there called.