Steamed (Radiator Issues)

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, a month or so back, I blew my radiator. I finally scrounged up the $300 for the new radiator, filled it up, and then overheated in a couple of minutes. So, I pulled the thermostat (which is a project in itself) and tested it and it appeared to work. Just for curoisities sake, I put it all back together and filled it back up. As soon as I started to crank it over, fluid started to come out of my radiator cap. I took the cap off of my Ranger and it definitely fit a little bit more snug, and this time I was able to get the truck started before the cap started to leak. It kinda sprayed out every few seconds and then quit. I went ahead and let it idle for about 30 minutes, and the temp gauge obviously never moved. I then took it for a pretty hard drive and could barely get the needle to the first dash under normal. Pulled into the gas station, and my radaitor/overflow is just boiling like crazy. Drove it back home, and no boiling. Woke up this morning to check the radiator fluid level, and I can't see any, and my overflow is almost full. HELP!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am gona say u have a blown headgasket, forcing cumbustion gasses into the cooling system, causing it to blow up.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
i am gona say u have a blown headgasket, forcing cumbustion gasses into the cooling system, causing it to blow up.

I agree....hopefully it's a head gasket and not cavatation. Most likely why your first rad "blew". Did it come apart, a tank rupture or some other failure causing you to buy your new rad?

Compression test the cooling system, but I think you are going to find a gasket failure.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Not necessarily, it could just be partially blown.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
it depends on where the gasket fails. If it fails between an oil port and water jacket, then they will mox. But in your case, I REALLY think it failed between the cylinder and water jacket....allowing the highly compressed air to enter your water jacket pushing out the coolant....ask me how I know....I blew up a 300 inline 6 2 years ago like this..lol

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awwwww...well this wasn't the help I was looking for:( I do appreciate all the responses though. So, from the guys with experience with replacing the gasket, how difficult/time consuming is the repair?

Bill-W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it depends on where the gasket fails. If it fails between an oil port and water jacket, then they will mox. But in your case, I REALLY think it failed between the cylinder and water jacket....allowing the highly compressed air to enter your water jacket pushing out the coolant....ask me how I know....I blew up a 300 inline 6 2 years ago like this..lol

x2 but mine was a 3.0 Ranger! Never had a drop of oil in the coolant or a drop of coolant in the oil.

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know asking how long it would take is a stupid question, but I am very mechanically handy, I just hate working on vehicles. Thanks again for all the comments. I'm really not sure what to do at this point, I got the truck with only 92,000 miles for $4k and drove it for 4,000, then something with my speedo sensor went out and then radiator flipped out which apparently blew my head gasket. I love the truck, and really want to make it work, but I don't wanna get under and end up spending more than I would on a newer 7.3...

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
well dude its a toss up and the truck is due for things to break and stuff needs to be updated so to me fix it and go on, to me it wouldnt be hard to replace and the speedo sensor if you know how to fix then do it and the ridideator lol thing is caused by the head gasket so basically fix the major thing first head gasket then find out if the radiator is still doing it then just diagnose and fix jsut my .02 sry to babble on

Black dawg

Reaction score
put some headgaskets in it, and if that was fun, sell it and but a 6.5 youll love it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
...ask me how I know....I blew up a 300 inline 6 2 years ago like this..lol

Goofy...... :hail:hail

You blew up a 300 in 6!!!!
I did not know that was possible..... I know people that have tried to kill a 300 in 6.. and it just kept going......

You are a member of a rare club....

OK, Hijack Complete...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online