Steamed (Radiator Issues)

1994IDI

Reaction score
Goofy...... :hail:hail

You blew up a 300 in 6!!!!
I did not know that was possible..... I know people that have tried to kill a 300 in 6.. and it just kept going......

You are a member of a rare club....

OK, Hijack Complete...

:rotflmao :rotflmao
I thought the same thing! I thought they were the only thing that was harder to kill than the IDI... Leave it to you goofy ;Really

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What you can do, at least what I have done, I just removed the IP gear,cover, and IP as one unit and then reinstalled it all as one unit. I had the front cover off aswell which may have been why i could do that, but... that way the IP timing didn't get changed. Just have to line back up the timing gears.

And yes, change out the glow plugs while you are working on the heads. The glow plugs though, if one gets stuck, it's easy to fix with the head off. Getting a stuck or broken glow plug out normally would be very difficult with the head still on the engine.

I modified the priginal quote to shorten it a little, but use a GOOD anti-seize compound on the new GP's when you put them in. Trust me, you WANT to spend the extra $15 and do this!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Before You start taking things apart why don't You do a cooling system test, they rent this tool at parts stores even sell them at Harbor freight. You could have other issues and not a blown head gasket. Also as Gary said if You pulled 6 gallons and only used 5 to fill it You have air and that will make it overheat yet I don't think it would blow the rad cap. If You don't trust Yourself with this task, You can also buy a running used motor and drop it in there, will take about the same time as doing the heads and You don't have to worry about doing the heads with the motor being in the truck but do it at Your own leisure with more time, then You'll have another good motor.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I agree....hopefully it's a head gasket and not cavatation. Most likely why your first rad "blew". Did it come apart, a tank rupture or some other failure causing you to buy your new rad?

Compression test the cooling system, but I think you are going to find a gasket failure.

I quote myself....

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust myself doing this no prob...I just haven't ever done it before. As posted, I am to the point of removing the heads already, just gotta get the injector pump off first. I have read a lot of articles that say you should just go ahead and pull the motor out. Is it really worth the extra hassle to have more working space?

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also buy a running used motor and drop it in there, will take about the same time as doing the heads and You don't have to worry about doing the heads with the motor being in the truck but do it at Your own leisure with more time, then You'll have another good motor.

Only problem with that is that there aren't many idi's in Mesa, AZ...