Started with a mess,still a mess but getting better-Build

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Wish I had the pics I took along the process, but the camera I had most of the pics on died a horrible death and I couldn't save them. So I got the truck running, working out bugs which a lot I think were caused from it sitting with a leaky windshield. So I still have other problems to figure out. Any progress is progress, I guess?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's always a rolling restoration, just like the roadkill guys say! Your work looks real good, hope you can work out the kinks quick

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Yes. Was excited when I fired it up. Found a snap-on meter on Ebay(sorry to the others who lost). Setting the timing and the new injectors made a big difference. Plus the inter-cooler and intake mods made for a really good throttle response. But engine is still tired. And sitting so long didn't help. I have a '94 IDIT engine I'm going to rebuild and put in. But for now I just need to be able to get places and work out issues so I'll be ready for the swap.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! You have the same turbo that I do. I would love to do an intercooler as well, but it isn't going to happen soon. You are up in my area, cool to see someone else around here.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
For the inter-cooler, I don't think I have $400 into it! Can't afford expensive additions so I have to use my imagination (creative, re-purpose, engineering?) I couldn't stand the huge air box. In fact at first I was going to mod it to make the intake hat and gladly cut it up. After which I got the idea to take the piece of 4" exhaust pipe to make it. Fed Way? Yep, my oldest was born there!
You must be registered for see images attach

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Commin along good! With that intercooler I think it would be safe to crank the pump all the way up, if you have not already. That will help power a lot, more fuel spools the turbo more so more air more fuel. Looks like a sweet project, great job on the intake system!

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Thanks! This old engine probably couldn't handle it. And I need to save my $ with the fuel. Besides, too many "tree huggers" here in the "great northleft" to offend, if I were to smoke them out. When I do the '94 IDIT block I'd like to do the arp studs on the heads at least. Then I might see about pushing up the boost & fuel.

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I live in the northwest and the hippies all hate my idi trucks, both the ford and my 6.5 chevy. The 6.5 made a huge difference when I tuned it up 1/3 a turn. Puff of black and then it clears up as soon as the turbo spools.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
See the Gov (Wa) say on the news global warming is to blame for the wildfires!? Got an idea. I have a N14 (14 liter) Cummins with a spun rod I could put the Holset turbo from it on my truck. +Banks= twin turbo. ARP studs AND weld heads to the block and I'd be good to go!

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the inter-cooler, I don't think I have $400 into it! Can't afford expensive additions so I have to use my imagination (creative, re-purpose, engineering?) I couldn't stand the huge air box. In fact at first I was going to mod it to make the intake hat and gladly cut it up. After which I got the idea to take the piece of 4" exhaust pipe to make it. Fed Way? Yep, my oldest was born there!
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I have done on mine. It works, not that you need it with your intercooler.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
After I hacked it up (Banks air box) it still took up too much space. And the configuration of the air intake looked like it wouldn't allow smooth air flow. Hard bend small diameter into intake, just didn't look right. Plus hooking up inter-cooler tubing would be difficult. So I ended up with 2 1/2" tubing-to-boot-to-intake all in one gradual bend. Got the thought to do it this way when I studied the plumbing code to do a retail business. Tight turns / too many restrict flow in plumbing so same applies here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online