Started with a mess,still a mess but getting better-Build

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
See if I can do this. Truck wouldn't pass emissions so it sat for a few years. Now 25 yrs old so no more smog test. I think it has a good base to work from. Banks 1st gen turbo, Banks trans command control module, Gear Vendors overdrive, 3" DP into 4" exhaust, air bags on rear. So to start to get it back up was to pull turbo and rebuild it.
You must be registered for see images attach

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
I lost a lot of the first pics I had. When I got the truck in the shop I pulled the front off and then valley pan. But the DP in the pic I pulled, cut and added a v-band just past the top curve and another where it went into the 4".

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
So I got a set of rebuilt injectors made a pop tester and got them all within 50 psi of each other. Got those in after a new valley pan, glow plugs were surprisingly good. While I had room to work I redid the glow plug harness, pulled the engine harness and shortened it so it no longer goes behind the intake. All splices are soldered and heat shrink-ed. I moved the glow plug controller to the right front, just behind the AC compressor. Also moved the vac can to drivers side to make room on the pass fender well.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Fast forward Radiator was bad trans cooler, internal leak. Old owner just plugged and put two external coolers and a electric fan for the trans! I got aluminum radiator. Did a LOT of reading, especially here on inter coolers. decided to get a '99 PS cooler. "Hacked" the core support some, then some more. It fits!

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Couldn't afford the welding (aluminum) so put together with the boots that came with the inter cooler piping.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Made the hat from a section of left over 4" pipe. Cut it vertically, heated and opened one end to fit the intake, then heated again and bent the other to form a angled cone. Then welded a filler piece in the triangle opening that was left. Cut a notch near the top, but leaving room for a boot, welded a washer on the notch and found a bolt to reach the intake.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
To make it all fit under the hood I used a 2" body lift. That made it possible to keep the AC compressor. Also, the previous owner put the exhaust up to close underneath. It was melting the carpet! So raising the body helped a lot, plus wrapping the pipe.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
For the air cleaner I used a Baldwin, I think. 4". Moved wind washer to other side. Found a coolant res that fit on the fan shroud. The tubing for the filter is actually 4" corrugated sewer
pipe and pvc fittings!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.