Stanadyne Ds4 on a Ford IDI?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I posted this thread over at The Truck Stop to see what the 6.5 Chevy guys thought and they gave me a few things to think about. I figured I would post it here as well. Anyway here is the thread over there to get you all started.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/ds4-on-ford-idi.44187/page-3#post-500429

Anyway, I know that the Chevy sounds opposite of the Ford but I'm not sure how it week affect the pump if I spin it the opposite way. Does anyone know if the cam ring can be flipped? If it can't my idea was to change the firing order by having custom injectors lines made.

Also does anybody know if spinning in reverse would affect the optic sensor or the stepper motor? I'm guessing it does and that I would need to find a way to make those work or change them out for something else. Additionally as far as the ECM and other sensors go that shouldn't be to horrible. I found a way to write my own tunes and even do multiple tunes as well. I have a background in electronics so that won't be bad.

I know a few of you will wonder why I want to do this and that a mechanical pump keeps it simple, but I just really want to do something fun and unique if it is feasible. Plus it will be fun to nerd out on the electronics side of it as well. So do you guys have any input to help me get started?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the issues were with the PMD. I want to see if I can see if some of the transistors I have at work could make it better. Other than that, the IP itself isn't terrible. Its just the PMD that have it a bad rap.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for experimenting and having fun, but what you are proposing does not sound like any kind of fun I'm used to having. LOL Most Chevy guys want to get rid of it and go back to a DB2. If you want more fuel, we got that covered. They are expensive, the PMD and the wiring is a hassle, and unless you can figure out how to reprogram an ECM, it will not give you more fuel or let you play with the timing at all. You will need an ODBII connector just to time it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with an OBD1 setup if I do this. That way I can just use TunerPro, which is free, and then burn tunes into an Eprom. I can give you all a link to that thread. Programming is the easy part.

So Mel, is there a way too spin it backward then?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Have you compared the drive and mounting, seems like the fab work alone would be enough reason to use something else.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figure it will take some work. I plan on getting a cheap non-functioning one or just a cheap one in general to see what needs done.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about something similar a few years back and bought one to play with. What I remember is that they are way to different to make work. I'm sure that the pump I bought is still in pieces in the shop at my dads FWIW

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam ring and the primary pump would have to be reconfigured. You would definitely be in uncharted territory for sure. How are you going to mount it? that will be a major hassle too.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm taking it when you are talking about the primary pump, you are meaning the fuel solenoid correct? As for the cam ring, what do you mean by reconfiguring it?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman, what happened after you took it apart? What did you do with it that changed your mind?

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the proper tools and equipment theres not much your going to be able to do with the DS 4 pump. I started a build with high hopes but life got in the way and I was never able to finish what I started. At this point if I were to get back to this project I would just buy a pump that uses a DB4 head. Even if you could build a frankenpump in your garage you have no way of testing/calibrating it.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that I can't build a pump. I just wanted to start with a stock one and retrofit it to work. I want to talk to Justin from R&D a lil more about it but he had another idea to think about as well. I will email him this weekend and see what he says.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about it more and I could use an idler gear in between the cam gear and IP gear to spin the IP the same way as it was built. After that swapping the injector lines to Fords firing order and it should work. It seems somewhat more feasible now. It will definitely be a project for later down the road though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance