spray on bed liners. which one?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this kinda thing gets beaten to death, but i am looking at coating my bed with a spray on liner and would like some feedback from membership on which they have used, liked, disliked etc. I have been looking at the raptor and rock-it liners. Saw the duplicolor single stage stuff. . .

what's your pick?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to keep it cheap, but SEM in the manufacturer on the rock-it liner and that's positive.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm going to need to repaint my diamond-plate rear bumper this summer and was thinking of brush-on liner material for durabilty, and invite any suggestions of what to consider (or avoid) for durability on that.

Thanks

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
x2 on the SEM we used that on the underside of our Bel-Air Show car. the plus side on the SEM is the fact that you can tint it to match the color of the truck ;) thats what we did so when you look in the mirrors under the car at the shows it looks so pretty

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I haven't used any of the home do it yourself kits but have had both Rhino and LineX brands over the years and I like the Rhino far better than LineX. The biggest thing that I don't like about LineX is it's a hard material and if you put anything in the bed it will slide around almost as bad as a plastic liner if not worst, with the Rhino it's sort of rubbery and where you place it, that's where it's gonna be until you pick it up. Bad thing about that is you have to actually pick something up and place it in the bed because stuff doesn't like to slide in if it's got any weight to it but having it not bang around is worth the extra trouble.

The biggest thing to making them last either one is the prep work - if they use short cuts you can bet that it will flake off or peal off.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used both herculiner and the bondo brand. I like the bondo brand better due to less abrasive to my body. The herculiner has lots of sand in it. The bondo brand seems to work pretty good for me. Make sure you prep your bed good like it says or it will flake off. I have hauled gravel in mine several times and it still holding up fine.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I think the bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

Well not necessarily, it all comes down to your prep work. I used Dupi Color Roll in bed liner in my old truck I had and never had problems, it probably was because I did good prep work. I also had a buddy who used a more expensive brand and it didn't last long.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with above. Its in the prep work. Don't take any shortcuts or you will watch it peel off in about a year. My last one I did I used a sand blaster to the bed just to make sure I didn't miss sanding in between the grooves on the bed floor. Like I said I haul lots of gravel over the last year and if it came off (because of my shovel) The paint and all came off.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about most of the cheap stuff is that is fades pretty quickly in the sun. Then it just look bad. Maybe it is better now than when I tried the duplicolor liner. I will pay the extra to have something that will hold up well all the way around. It really isn't that much more but I like the do it yourself stuff because I hate paying for the labor and so on. Why pay for that when you can do it yourself and then say, "I did
that!". Anyway everybody is different and so are the products we all like. I often find that one person likes really well, another person hates. It is funny but I find I myself in that same boat often enough.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive been happy with the liner extreme...not much fad but i prepped the crap out of the tub too....

i scuffed it down with 36grit paper...masked everything...then wiped it down twice with xylene before spraying it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Travis. I've had a plastic liner before and is was not really that great. It let stuff slide all over the place and it doesn't protect the metal of the bed. The Line-X was way to hard and plastic like for me. I was having flash backs to the old drop in bed liner. Having seen the Rhino in a friends truck I knew that's what I wanted and that's what I went with. Stuff stays where I put it, it doesn't get slippery when it rains or you spill oil/diesel/gas on it. I really like it alot.

Prep work is key. Be sure the shop has a good rep before you use them. Like stated above, if they cut corners, your liner will not last.

Heath

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i just sprayed the Liner Extreme on a utility bed im doing for a guy. hasnt fully cured yet but its already cracking on the inside corners. that doesnt make me happy. im still interested in how it will last. i put alot of rubber crumb in it too and its really rough and gritty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.