SPIDER INFESTATION!!!

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1985 van was in a shed/barn for over 20 years. When I took to the cleaning I got a bucket full
of snail shells (and waste) in one area, leaves/dirt/debris in another section, and spider webs in the
front wheel wells and the vent in front of the windshield.

I took care of the problems, even found and fixed a leak in the internal irrigation for the windshield
grille. But now for the life of me, I CANNOT GET RID OF THE SPIDER WEBS.

I bought the best spray (cost more that real good spray paint,) insecticide made to kill spiders. I jugged
the areas with spray and found a spider (********* shiny Black Widow,) the spray got on it and I thought
"Great! Got rid of that problem..." Wished I took a pic of that spider.

About 2 weeks later, the webs start showing up again (except in a 1 foot section where I killed the spider,
it had no webs until another month later.)

I read the can, and it takes a DIRECT SHOT on the spider to kill it...

...there are other spots that had spider webs, the wheel wells, the inside of the stock rims, inside the
brake drums, inside the frame, and the gaps in metal bits. Inside the rear axle hub/rim area there
were a lot of the fuzzy "spider nests" maybe several hundreds.

Now, I am seeking advice, is there a method or big "bug bomb" that will get it done?

(Inside, there are no webs... ...yet.) LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

It was overcast today, the webs don't show well unless you zoom way in on them,
so I'll try and get more shine on the webs later, it's pretty thick, which is amazing to me...

Advice and comments are welcomed!
Best regards,
George

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
get some Demand CS or Talstar concentrate and use it, it's pet/child/food prep area safe after it dries, and spray the hell outta your truck

another alternative is Demon CZ

go to your local wilbur ellis or equivalent, it's gonna cost you about $40 for a pint, but it's good stuff

I should mention, I used to work for W.E. in the agro-chem division, this is the same stuff orkin and ecolab use besides their wettable powders, but that's how I know about it

it makes Tempo look like a joke LOL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well those are defintley widow webs! I had a case of brown widows in my house and garage. I guess i got all them killed with the blow torch. I never used any chemicals.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It has to be actual peppermint oil though. It works great for camping too. Your wheel wells will smell like candy canes and no more spiders.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great suggestions, thank you.

Here's what I was using: (not affiliated)

It wasn't till a couple of applications that I bothered to read the full label and the wording
implies that "contact" must be made to effectively work...

...it was by chance the one large Black Widow crawled out and I shot her. There's so many
deep spots I cannot get into, that I would never be able to make a direct kill shot on one.

Then there's insecticide, like jwalterus suggests, the stuff is spendy but sounds industrial.
On Amazon I see 8oz for 31 smackers, delivered (Demand CS) and 43 for 3/4 gal of Talstar.
I need to know if direct contact must be made with these?

Peppermint. HA! but then, if it works, it won't smell bad and be dangerous. I got to get
the right stuff, it has to be real concentrate.

I think the WD-40/blowtorch will be a last resort, or if I've been drinkin with some friends
and get bored...

Thanks! I'll post up what works and what I did.

Best regards,
George

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with eather is whatever you spray will be on fire too.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
If using either only do short burst other wise the can will catch fire also ask me how I know.
PB Blaster is flammable tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a fog type killer that works great but it dangerous. You open a cap. Place it in a cup of water and stand back. I had a black widow crawl out of my small vacuum in my drivers foot well. She ran under the front seat. I even removed the seat but did not find her. So I placed a fog bomb in the back floor while working under the hood. I saw so much smoke I thought it had started a fire so I opened the back door. That **** rolled out all over me and I swear I saw all my dead relatives. A few hours later I opened all 4 doors and aired it out... Never did find a body and for some time I felt anything tickling my legs was the spider crawling up my pants. Took some time to get over that one. Goggle how long the Black widow lives. It will scare the hell out of ya...

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE=icanfixall;907938]...I swear I saw all my dead relatives...[/QUOTE]

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Had me a chuckle on that one. Well, I did the peppermint concentrate spray, and after waiting a few days, I think all I did was **** OFF the spider(s)

They came BACK and with a VENGEANCE:

*You'll have to expand and zoom in on these photos to see the webs, for some reason I can't get the photos to show as well as in real life

The webs are THICKER than before, almost like they are fighting back, there doesn't seem to be any food in them or even a food source nearby:

So, for this case, the peppermint IS NOT WORKING. I got the good, expensive concentrated stuff. I watered it down gradually and tried spots all over the truck. I did it full strength, and the webs are back. I am dealing with Black Widow spiders, because the one I killed a while back was pretty big and it was no mistaking it was a BW. By the way, after a little research I found the Black Widow spider is THE MOST POISONOUS creature in North America :eek: I woulda thought a rattlesnake or some kind of gila monster would have those honors... (and to think I was running my hands in/out of these spaces "bare back" style!)

I'd like to know more about the bug bombs, this is an outdoor vehicle, I don't have a garage/room for it any more.

Any other ideas? The reason I got this part of the van apart, is spot rust prevention, I'm hand sanding/grinding areas, then putting down Ospho (which I must say is pretty good stuff, I used to do vinegar/water, and the Ospho leaves a nice residue/coating to prevent future rust,) then repriming and painting. (Maybe the Ospho will work against the spiders?) I also did the entire rain gutter/pan section with grey POR-15, and the spiders have moved back in to their remodeled homes...

Look forward to hearing about what might have worked.

Best regards,
George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726