Somebody scored bigtime

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Returns:
Seller does not offer returns.

that scares me when it comes to meters.

look at the description too.it simply states what it is.not if it's in working condition or for parts only.pretty much gambling.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I agree with much of whats posted but one thing not thought about in the posts. Just the magnetic probe is a $275.00 replacement. The clamp is about $75.00 and the harness for the clamp is around $150.00. Broken or not it was a good buy and there is a repair shop I have used with great help. I should have been more on the ball instead of being a sue chef round the kitchen today...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of whats posted but one thing not thought about in the posts. Just the magnetic probe is a $275.00 replacement. The clamp is about $75.00 and the harness for the clamp is around $150.00. Broken or not it was a good buy and there is a repair shop I have used with great help. I should have been more on the ball instead of being a sue chef round the kitchen today...

Wha wa whaaa wa wha wa....teacher from peanuts...

EDIT...

about the time in kitchen I should have said....

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ask seller a question ' button is my fav.
Screaming deal!

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used a kent moore meter. Does it also time via the pulse method with an injector line clamp or is it all lumy thru the glow plug hole?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Kent Moore J33300 or the newer J33300-A meters will time by lumi, clamp or by timing light. You will need those items to time any of these mentioned ways. If you find a meter and want some advice before you buy please pm me. The older J33300 meter is still repairable but if it has a Red display it may be not a good deal even if its free. The red display comes from a vacuum tube display and they are no longer made. So when the display fails you no longer have a repairable meter. A new J33300 meter will cost you around 600 to 800 bucks. A magnetic probe is around 375 bucks and the clamp is about 75 bucks. The harness for that is around 150 bucks. The lumi probe is very close to 400 bucks with the harness around 200 bucks. So are the 300 to 400 dollar meters listed on ebay a good deal?? Might be but I have purchased them for around 150 when they come up ... Thats why this mentioned meter I posted was a screaming deal even if it did not work. The parts alone were worth several times the winning bid. A few years back I purchased a J33300 meter that did not work. the case was broken but the seller hid that from the pic views. Sneaky ******* really..It had 3 lumi probes in it plus 2 mag probes. I contacted the seller and explained it was not as advertised and wanted my refund plus my shipping charges. I even explained what the value of the parts were but nope.. He stayed hard line not offering me what I felt was fair. So a protest was filed and he finally contacted me saying he would pay me the return shipping and a fulkl refund but ONLY if I returned it in the same box and all the packing???:eek:;Really Sadly that fool did not know me and I kept every piece of packing and the box it came in. BTW it was nothing special. Just a cardboard box and some shredded cardboard packing. Well I waited till the time ran out and paypal sent me a message telling me the unfroze the sellers money and I lost the protect. I sold the 3 lumi probes for 150 bucks each and have spare parts I have used in my other meters. I guess it was just too much work for the seller to make 3 times the amount on money on that meter in parts on ebay like I did....

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much on the info. I will PM you before I purchase one off of ebay. There are 3 on there right now

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much on the info. I will PM you before I purchase one off of ebay. There are 3 on there right now

Gary is THE man in the know on these meters and pretty darn experienced at timing too.

Even if meter doesnt work it could be something super simple as I found out and Gary and I worked together to resolve some issue we both faced. Now my meter is fully functional and his are too that were considered inoperative.

Good luck on the purchase and you wont be dissatissfied...heck it even tells ya when your timing is in the NEGATIVE.....:rotflmao

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I've spoke with Gary a couple times on here while doing my frame off restoration . He's very sharp on timing an idi and has great other knowledge about them. I changed my first injector pump on an idi when I was 12. I'm 33 now. Learned every nook cranny wiring harness backlash setting bearing part number doing this frame off.

Ps. About .030" of an inch moving the timing mark on the pump is good for about a degree to a degree and a half. It doesn't take much movement to really bump the timing

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received a j33300 that i bought on ebay for $40. Green screen, came with magnetic probe, injection line clamp and harness and timing light although I don't think the light works. Is the the lumosity probe needed, does it work better than clamp method?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lumi probe TECHNICALLY requires knkwing Cetane of fuel to correctly time engine.

Clamp method is for sure the simpler method and for what we do bang on.

Sand off paint as closr to injector #1 or 4. 1 is usually trucks 4 is usually vans. Attach clamp and ground clamp to line.

Route lead carefully and avoid belts pulleys etc.

Take a 5/16" drill bit...clean out MAG probe hole on timing tab...it is the taller of the two; short one is 0 deg and is not used for pulse method. Locate groove in harmonic and clean it out wjth O ring pick or something.

Take 3 or 4 business cards place them between harmonic balancer and timing tab...creating clearance so mag probe does not contact balancer. Insert probe till contacts cards route wires safe from harm and remove cards.

Connect leads to meter please insert carefully and square to bore...also remove carefully and square to bore...or meter may not function correctly.

Connect battery leads set offset to 20. Fire up truck run up to 2000 rpm read timing.

Easy peasy and @icanfixall if I missed anything...

If meter does not work and you want to discuss it PM me and we can talk about potential issue that Gary and I worked through together. Sure woukd hate have to return meter for this issue.

JM33300CW

Al