Somebody better buy this truck!

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bart...trucks have hit $85K.
There is a guy my BIL works for once in a while, that just bought a Dodge Diesel with all the bells and whistles for $85K. Fords are probably right up there also.

But he is MR. lookie what I have...naner naner....
Glad he has the payments, high registration fee and Insurance costs...

I bought a new 82 F-250 back in Oct 81.
360 V8 4-spd, Posi rear end, Camper Window, Power Disk brakes, (they were an option back then) Ranger XLT, Cab and Cassis, Black interior and a root beer brown.
$4600.00 out the door, and that was a lot of money then.
And I paid cash for it.

I have the 85 Super Cab, 6.9 Banks turbo, 4-spd, air Bags on the rear, 165K and zero Rust I picked up in Sacramento 3+ years ago for $2500.
The way prices have gone up I could double my money on it.

Goat.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 85 Super Cab, 6.9 Banks turbo, 4-spd, air Bags on the rear, 165K and zero Rust I picked up in Sacramento 3+ years ago for $2500.
The way prices have gone up I could double my money on it.

Goat.
If it's 4wd then we've got a deal. I'll catch a plane out there on Sunday. :)

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
New vehicle prices do a lot to drive up used vehicle prices. I think there’s been a permanent shift in the way new cars are sold. I don’t think you are ever going to see dealers with 300 or more new cars sitting on a lot again. Gone are the days of big rebates and model year close out deals. The company I work for has a GM fleet number. 3 years ago that got you about $8k off of a gas 3500 crew cab work truck. Today more like $500. Maybe you get a better deal if you’re a big company ordering 20 trucks at a time but it doesn’t help us much. The manufacturers are making more money per unit, and the dealers aren’t tying their money up on new inventory. Dealers are keeping more used inventory and charging a premium for it. Also if you’re in the position that you have a $30k truck that you want to sell personally, you’re kinda in a tough spot. The trucks are worth it, but most buyers want to finance that much. Problem is, most banks don’t want to finance unless it’s through a licensed dealer.

Anyway, all that to say I wouldn’t expect to see prices come back down anytime soon.
To add to that.

If you do not get a substantial rebate do not buy last years model. Stealerships rip off consumers all the time with a $500-2,000 rebate on a truck that may have depreciated as much as $5,000 already.

Always look at what that truck at 5 years old is worth. Then what the same truck is worth at 6 years old. Often that is a +$3,000 difference, so great you got a $500 rebate, but you are going to loose say $2,500 when you sell it. Congratulations you just got screwed! (Own it gents, you just screwed yourself, perhaps unknowingly.) Do you think your dealer is going to pay you more than the truck is worth to make it up to you on your trade in 6, 7, or 8 years from now?

Just buy the new model and get your money’s worth. Smarter yet is buy a 2023 model when it comes out in October of 2022, get some extra time and value out of the deal. But be careful of model change years, often they need a year to work out the bugs.

Also another issue with selling a truck for say $25,000 cash, how do you do it without getting burned by a bogus payment. Did you know that cashiers check your buyer just gave you can be cancelled by him after he leaves? Carrying $25,000 in cash to a bank has risk too. Answer is a wire transfer, it cannot be reversed once your bank confirms it is deposited. Hold the truck and pink, confirmation by your banker, here are the keys and pink Mr. buyer.

Covid is going to have a lasting effect on how we truck down the road for sure.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's 4wd then we've got a deal. I'll catch a plane out there on Sunday. :)

Nope, one wheel drive....LOL.

Last Oct I tore out the inside, wall plastic panels etc...
And Dynamatted the whole interior. walls, floor etc....
Then the kid I bought it from added some after market gauges attached different places. One the Oil Gauge puked oil on the red carpet, plus the other 30 yrs of wear and tear.
used the Bissell little Green machine and got it scrubbed up and looks almost new. 99% clean.
weather changed and has been sitting since.

I`ll get back to it soon as things warm up.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about it but thought someone here might be interested.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a 88 F350 crew cab dually with a flat bed, a ZF5, and a 093 on Facebook Marketplace. It's in Council Grove, KS and I think that Kansas IDI should buy that one.
He should buy that one and the one Brian found and ship them to be because he's a great guy......... I love spending other people's money.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a 88 F350 crew cab dually with a flat bed, a ZF5, and a 093 on Facebook Marketplace. It's in Council Grove, KS and I think that Kansas IDI should buy that one.
My buddy used to own that truck! I want to go buy it, but it has always had transmission problems. It is a ZF5, like it’s 3rd or 4th one… but I have transmissions laying around, maybe something could be made to work. Only 2WD though…