some pics of the Ic install

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea ,I just ratle canned some flat black on them to make them pretty.:rotflmao
The stuff I used was from Murrieta, must follow directions exactly, they have a great tech line. I will slice up some of the head ports for all to see, Mel when is the weekend?
As for more boost ,when I built the engine I tried to get some studs from Ken at dps for 3 weeks but never did, so just new stock bolts. 10psi will do for now.

Stainless plugs only, thin wipe of aviation permatex in the hole.

Coatings from
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

Last edited:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
In the December '06 issue of Hot Rod there is an enlightening article on engine coatings. They compare anti-friction, oil shedders, and thermal barrier coatings on various engine components and then dyno the engine for real world effects if any. They used the same engine each time. Some pretty good stuff. Changed my ideas on a few things when I build an engine.

Tom

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the December '06 issue of Hot Rod there is an enlightening article on engine coatings. They compare anti-friction, oil shedders, and thermal barrier coatings on various engine components and then dyno the engine for real world effects if any. They used the same engine each time. Some pretty good stuff. Changed my ideas on a few things when I build an engine.

Tom
that should be interesting reading. I've been coating the insides of blocks over the years with "Glyptal"(sp?). Nothing else special.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been using Glyptol? That's a paint used for insulating wires, and also used by techs to hold fasteners and tamper-mark them. I've only seen it sold in small bottles.

Typ4, the weekend is in July. Guess I should update my sig.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been using Glyptol? That's a paint used for insulating wires, and also used by techs to hold fasteners and tamper-mark them. I've only seen it sold in small bottles.
That's the stuff.
the reason why is that it doesn't flake off like regular paint, has great adhesion, excellent heat resistance, and the biggest reason why is that oil literally slides off it and goes right back down into the pan. Anything helps "stocker" motors to keep from starving out when pulling the corners hard.
I've always gotten the stuff in quart cans.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Learned a new use for it then. You could write a book maybe to put on the store shelf next to "101 uses for duct tape". LOL

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COOL PICS!!! ;Really

Any chance of cutting a precombustion chamber in half and posting pics of that? I'm wondering how much material there is that could be taken off on the inside without seriously compromising the structural integrity...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COOL PICS!!! ;Really

Any chance of cutting a precombustion chamber in half and posting pics of that? I'm wondering how much material there is that could be taken off on the inside without seriously compromising the structural integrity...
tim-
you'd better off understanding the practical theory on the precombustion chambers before you start grinding away. the larger you go, the slower the swirl...not good.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
That's the stuff.
the reason why is that it doesn't flake off like regular paint, has great adhesion, excellent heat resistance, and the biggest reason why is that oil literally slides off it and goes right back down into the pan. Anything helps "stocker" motors to keep from starving out when pulling the corners hard.
I've always gotten the stuff in quart cans.

I've never used it for that myself. But I have seen it used for that and read in magazines as a recomendation to paint the lifter valley with it for years.
Mel, I'm surprised this is new to you. Course I'm sure I haven't tried all the uses for duct tape yet either.:rotflmao

Tom

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tom-
I've even gone through the trouble with painting the lower section of the block too. In a not so distant past, I was very deep into 455 Buick performance and let me tell you, there isn't many off the shelf parts for that monster. There was only two speed parts makers for the motor and the rest you had to really massage and work with what you had. Fortunately the factory has a good base stock to work with. Stock with Buick was a 5quart oil pan and chebby had a 7quart. To keep the starvation down, I had to fit a crank scraper and Glyptol everything inside the block that had a rough surface. it must have worked. The motors I built stayed together longer than my competitors. It helps when you spent years in a automotive machine shop learning everything you can from a old german machinist who built sprint car motors for guys who wanted to win and could afford him.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
COOL PICS!!! ;Really

There is a pic on page one that has the precup cut through. .260 thick with cheap calipers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12