some pics of the Ic install

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the IC install pics. I thought we had more but things were kinda rushed. cookoo Questions welcome;Sweet
The part I used for the intake hat is a propane mixer air filter adapter, we cut the center out after turning it shorter to clear the turbo and thru bolted a 04 PS inlet elbow on it. IC is 04PS as is the hotside tube cut and welded to point at the turbo outlet. Tube on left is hotside, tube on right is an 01 ps hotside used on coldside that fit right in with the 3 inch elbows from ebay. I will dig up more pics when the son gets time, school and a job ,what more could a parent ask for:hail
Russ

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 107

SKimballC

Reaction score
Good god almighty, that is one mammoth intercooler. Aren't the IC's that most IDI folks a hair smaller than that? What kind of boost and EGT's are you making? You do look very happy in that last pic...

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good god almighty, that is one mammoth intercooler. Aren't the IC's that most IDI folks a hair smaller than that? What kind of boost and EGT's are you making? You do look very happy in that last pic...
if you buy the ATS or Hypermax kit, you will get a half height IC. There is a minor concern of increased temps with a full height IC. I know with my ATS IC, I popped my safeties on my AC compressor. Two things I think contributed to that though. One...the IC is blocking half of the condensor, so the recovery time is not as good. Two...the previous owner retro'd R134 into the truck. R134 runs at higher pressures than R12, so that my be the primary cause of the safties popping since they are still set for R12 pressures. BTW, the cooler stack on a powderchoke is AC condensor front, IC middle, radiator in the back. I have a all aluminum IC off a powderchoke for a future project, but the AC condensor issue will need attention along with that install.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ, that is a first class install!! ;Sweet I love that shop complete with lathe. :thumbsup: :love: Where is the mill?

Rick

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. I've got definite shop envy there, even with my mill and lathe being bigger. Just goes to show size doesn't always matter. LOL

RedTruck

Reaction score
Russ,

You did a heck of a job. Congratulations! You've got to be as excited as possible to get it on the road.

I've pretty much got the same setup on my rig. PS IC In front of my radiator. I've removed the AC so I can't comment on that, but engine temps have been ok. Only when I'm pulling a heavy load does it start bothering me, but the original radiator wouldn't keep up before the install. I've got my pump about as far as I dare go and my wastegate turned up (I'm getting about 10 psi max now). The highest EGT's I've seen is 800. I do plan on upgrading the radiator, but it's not bad enough to cause me problems yet.

Again nice job. Enjoy!

Paul

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skimball, the boost is at 9 max, egt highest ive had is 1000 very hadr short pull, wrong gear and all that,still getting used to the diesel from 460 swap.
Towcat, it does run warm on hot days, I have a upgraded ac condenser for 134a, we were on vacation in 100 degree weather and the safety never popped,engine temp was 22o most of the time, big camper and towong the wrangler, aftermarket 3 row rads do not cool a turbo motor. I have a oem 4 row and it does much better.

As for the shop, it is where I work, Evergreen Aviation, we get to do home stuff sometimes thank goodness, overhead cranes are great for bed swaps and cab mount work;Sweet
The mill is right behind me in the lathe pic, they are JET but they are pretty accurate after I adjusted everything.

And I am very happy with the power, my son did a video a while back, 23 or so pages ,titled IDI in the truck It has some more stills also.

Thanks for the kind words, I have been a diesel mechanic for a long time but not too much with these, they are fun.
Russ

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. Now thats a great installation job. So is the mile wide smile...:D But where are the pictures of the cut up heads?? When you finished the milling out of the heads with my custom ball end mill you promised pics... I don't see any......;Really :rotflmao I'm just teasing.... The job looks great. I can understand the feeling of your smile but mine went away when I burned down my new motor with 5200 miles on it. Damn freeze plug poping out like that. Well at least I had some fun opening up a hot motor so I know what these motors can handle. The temp hit 250 on coolant sender and the oil temp reached somewhere just past 320 deg. BTW guys.... These motors don't sound to well running oil that hot. Kinda like running solid lifters without oil. Really noisy.....:rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
icanfixall, just for you here are some build pics:hail I have some pics of the heads somewhere not just the test head.Also one of the pistons after I coated them, had to redo the top of this one.

Attachments

• Picture006.jpg
    Picture006.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 76
  • precup close.jpg
    precup close.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 73
  • precup 1.jpg
    precup 1.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2005-05-29 018.jpg
    2005-05-29 018.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 43
  • 2005-05-29 020.jpg
    2005-05-29 020.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 43

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now those are some great pictures of a cut down head. Anychance you can cut down thru an intake or exhaust port? Please.... What did you coat the piston shirts with? and why.... Sure looks like things are going 200 mph...:D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I will slice up the head soon, I want to see how thick things are. I coated the skirts with antifriction graphite, tops with ceramic. baked on. I would not do used pistons again the tops were a ****** to clean good enough. Maybe turn 10 thou off to lower comp then coat:D .
I coated the bearings and rockers with the graphite also. Manifolds and turbo hotside and downpipe with some heat coating also..
Ordered the supplies from the coating place mentioned at the other site.

Attachments

• 2005-05-29 022.jpg
    2005-05-29 022.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2005-05-29 030.jpg
    2005-05-29 030.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! It sure would be neat to see some of those cutaways at the IDI Weekend. Any chance you want to send a chunk for the cost of shipping? Would make a really neat conversation piece, especially if we were to paint the various passages different colors.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good looking install, there was room enough between the grill/bumper and core suport for the intercooler without gutting anything?

them 6.0 ic's are def high capacity

whens the boost going up? a big interooler, a nice built motor, i think she should be seeing 18-20psi?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for more pictures. About the graphite, what is the name on the stuff? I have herd of a place down south of me I think its in Murrita but I don't remember for sure. Tell me you didn't use dgf spray out of a rattle can... Also if you could give some thickness numbers in the port areas that would really help me understand more about these heads and if a cut was made thru the ports would really be something all of us could learn from. What type of freeze plugs did you install? Are they brass or stainless steel and is any sealant used on them...

Last edited: