Solid 1984 IDI Rollback on CL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site. what are going to use the truck for?
how well do you understand tare weight and gross weight?

FETorino

Reaction score
welcome to the site. what are going to use the truck for?
how well do you understand tare weight and gross weight?

Well I am the original owner of an F350 powerstroke 4x4 that my wife now drives daily. I own an open trailer I use to transport my track car. I was thinking a vintage Ford with an IDI and either a rollback or Hodges bed would be a better transporter. Mainly because my wife wouldn't get upset when I took her truck on a long trip.

Without getting into the weeds my understanding is tare weight is the unladen weight of the vehicle and gross weight is the vehicle and whatever is in/on or towed behind it.

The truck I looked at had a current 2014 15,000 lb sticker. I think the truck registered weight is 8800 (if I remember correctly) so car, tools,extra gas cans, ez-up and chairs can weight 6200 lbs.

I need to fill out a signature line, I drive a 2011 Jetta TDI wagon as my commuter so I'm an oilburner on many levels.LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am the original owner of an F350 powerstroke 4x4 that my wife now drives daily. I own an open trailer I use to transport my track car. I was thinking a vintage Ford with an IDI and either a rollback or Hodges bed would be a better transporter. Mainly because my wife wouldn't get upset when I took her truck on a long trip.

Without getting into the weeds my understanding is tare weight is the unladen weight of the vehicle and gross weight is the vehicle and whatever is in/on or towed behind it.

The truck I looked at had a current 2014 15,000 lb sticker. I think the truck registered weight is 8800 (if I remember correctly) so car, tools,extra gas cans, ez-up and chairs can weight 6200 lbs.

I need to fill out a signature line, I drive a 2011 Jetta TDI wagon as my commuter so I'm an oilburner on many levels.LOL
got bad news for you. the sticker is the weight you are registered to haul. even though your weight is registered to 15k by CA DMV, your max GVW has not changed at all. it is still at 10k GVW. So...what does that mean? between your tare of 8800 and gross of 10k, you have a payload capacity of 1200lbs. CA DMV will accept registration payments up to 80k GVW, but CA DOT will only recognize your gross as stated by the manufacturer and noone else.

FETorino

Reaction score
got bad news for you. the sticker is the weight you are registered to haul. even though your weight is registered to 15k by CA DMV, your max GVW has not changed at all. it is still at 10k GVW. So...what does that mean? between your tare of 8800 and gross of 10k, you have a payload capacity of 1200lbs. CA DMV will accept registration payments up to 80k GVW, but CA DOT will only recognize your gross as stated by the manufacturer and noone else.

Well it isn't bad news for me since I don't own the truck. I'll do some CA DOT research based on your comments prior to buying anything else.

Your math does beg the question on what would have the truck been used for for 30 years if it isn't able to tow anything?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it isn't bad news for me since I don't own the truck. I'll do some CA DOT research based on your comments prior to buying anything else.

Your math does beg the question on what would have the truck been used for for 30 years if it isn't able to tow anything?
CA DOT enforcement was very different back then. i'm old enough to be able to tell you the stories of what you could get away with "back then".......