So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's all, you're not all that close to me then. It takes me a couple of hours to get to Bellville from here.
Made it back to Wilsey, no issues.

We were working about 2 hours east of Belleville, near Hiawatha. Not exactly feedlot country…

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpeg
    IMG_2808.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 8

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered a cheat code on my truck. Apparently, you can access both fuel tank sending units without having to remove the tank, hack the bed floor, or even lift the bed.

Tilting it to the passenger side worked like a charm (leave the passenger side bolts in loose to act like a hinge).

I'm sure many of you already knew this trick, but I didn't. Only realized after seeing chevy guys doing this trick on YouTube (be nice, chevy owners are people, too).

Also adding some photos of the new fuel sending unit. Looks like a very close match to the original but time will tell how it holds up.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 9

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another few photos of the new sending unit, if anyone's curious. Apparently the "shower heads" are now available separately, but the source I found was too expensive to ship, so I just replaced the whole thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 6

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I diagnosed air intrusion........all day! I checked everything, twice. And do you know what the culprit of the air bubbles were in my glass sight window?....... THE MONTH OLD FUEL PUMP FROM O'REILLY!!! That was part of the reason I couldn't figure it out quicker, I mean, how can it be the brand new pump? RIGHT? Oh well, while I was under there I noticed a drip of antifreeze under the water pump. Ughhhh, oh well, cheeper than a car payment!!!!
How did you come to find out your brand new reboxed chinesium now labeled made in the USA pump was bad....?

Sorry about the water pump!

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran really good, seems fine at 80mph on the turnpike.

Got about 14-15 mpg.
Have an exhaust leak, a nut seems to have backed off on from the drivers side exhaust manifold to the up pipe. Should be an easy fix, and will double nut, with one standard and one locking nylon, so it doesn’t happen again.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you come to find out your brand new reboxed chinesium now labeled made in the USA pump was bad....?

Sorry about the water pump!
Well, since Im one of those alternative fuels weirdos I have extra filters and a 3way valve for switching tanks, so I had to disconnect each one of those and attach a hose and a 5gal bucket of diesel and then I'd stare at my sight window and watch for bubbles........why do you ask? Did you want a "Jesus Freaks air intrusion" thread?

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak i ask because I still have a mechanical fuel pump with a Napa Carter that travels along as a back up.

For the record, I wanna be a weird fuel guy just like you!! Honestly I do, but I have so much on my plate that I cannot add another endeavor. And I have friends that own mechanic shops, and I know where their oil goes, to the county’s shop oil burner. And the road and bridge county manager is one of my best friends...... ;Pissed

And I get it, everything was isolated in the system and you still had air bubbles. LPP, say you know me!! ....issues.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jesus Freak i ask because I still have a mechanical fuel pump with a Napa Carter that travels along as a back up.

For the record, I wanna be a weird fuel guy just like you!! Honestly I do, but I have so much on my plate that I cannot add another endeavor. And I have friends that own mechanic shops, and I know where their oil goes, to the county’s shop oil burner. And the road and bridge county manager is one of my best friends...... ;Pissed

And I get it, everything was isolated in the system and you still had air bubbles. LPP, say you know me!! ....issues.
I have an old school glass fuel filter(without the filter element) just before the factory fuel filter and after the fuel pump so I can watch for such things. The bubbles were really small but there was just enough air that I couldn't do hard acceleration or cruise at more than 1800rpms without loosing pressure.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I wanna be a weird fuel guy just like you!! Honestly I do, but I have so much on my plate that I cannot add another endeavor.

I have a bunch of WMO here but I just haven't had a chance to get my centrifuge setup put together. I have almost everything to do it it's just the actual getting around to it.... I know what you mean!