So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to wait to post this but I'm too excited that I got the first piece right the first try so here we are LOL

Long story short.... I'm too cheap to buy the RSK frame box plates when I can make them for free from scrap... I have lots of work left to do but here's pictures because I'm excited I got all the measurements and bends in the right spot!

This is what Sky uses on the 2wd frames

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my version

Theirs is 1/4 and mine is only 3/16 but if I sleeve all three bolts mine should be at least as strong if not more. Tentatively planning two short stitch welds top and bottom as well.

I'll put more details in Tank's thread whenever I get it done.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only gripe that I have is that you should have done that before you had the frame galvanized. Otherwise, good job!

I agree! I wasn't going to run a RSK at all or I definitely would have done it first, but when a RSK with brand new springs falls into my lap I'm not going to snub my nose at it!

I still don't like the fact that it's lifting the front, but I'll either live with it or buy softer springs. We'll see how it is after it's had time for the springs to settle but I'm not going to be running around looking like a dog dragging on the carpet every time I have to hook up a trailer!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get a backhoe for this someday but it's probably cheaper to buy an old used backhoe than to find a backhoe made for this tractor!
Very likely. I looked at putting a factory loader on mine. Way cheaper in my area to buy one with the loader already on it than to buy just the used loader.

James

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a tractor, I decided I wanted a JD.
For some reason wanted a 950, basically a Yanmar built for JD.
I saw them for something like 7 - $10K, some w/o any attachments.
Found one on CL late one night in Sacramento For $12.5. A 1984.
JD loader, JD Back Hoe with 3 Buckets, JD Scraper Box, JD Auger, and an almost new Roto Tiller.
Called the guy in the morning, and had a guy coming over to look at it... I`ll give you $13....

Later in the day drove to Sacto, paid cash, loaded up the Box, Buckets and Tiller in the bed of the 250.
Next weekend he mounted the Back Hoe and hauled it over here to Nevada. Can`t beat that. Think that was 5 yrs ago.

But be prepared to fix things on an old tractor, they do pop up once in a while, and some times too often. Same with our trucks.

I search CL once in a while, and a few weeks back was a 950 in eastern Wa. for $10K with just a loader. So old tractors hold their value.

I have seen the 8A BH for the 950/1050 go for around $3K on the high end.

I agree, best to find a tractor with a loader already mounted (for your model) than to find the proper Loader for it. Or some after market one.

Goat

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just driving around today and in a parking lot saw a super cherried out huge lifted ford park nearby. Not something I’d drive but was digging it - the driver hopped down and i yelled “that a 6.7 or a 7.3” and he said “you’ll make fun of me if I tell you”, “is it a Cummins?” and he says “no it’s a 6.2”

Lol, had to look it up to realize that’s a gasser! Least it’s a ferd and probably better than a 6.0 power stroke (??) but would still take an IDI any day

Still laughing about it just had to mention it somewhere

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I swear, I'm a glutton for punishment.
Had the in laws truck over again. Completely overhauled the AC on it.
New expansion orifice, New AC compressor, 5.8L ac lines and condenser, recharged the system, vac actuated heater core shutoff valve installed.. Drops 20° of ambient now.
Tell you what.... That OBS front end is a pain in the butt to take off to swap the condenser is waaayyy more involved than my lovely bricknose.

Needless to say, it's running like an absolute top with the new pump and injectors. Now if only this truck was a 4x4...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So last night I took out lifters, cleaned them, and switched exhaust and intake lifters around. Also switched cylinders, so none are in their original holes. Anyhoo, fired it up, and it sounds way more like the sound I know to be a lifter on these engines, like a Model B John Deere. Also misfiring on a different cylinder.

When I had the lifters out, I cleaned them, and just looked into them to see if any were destroyed. No glaringly obvious problems, but these are hydraulic roller lifters, so harder to tell by looking. But I am starting to think that is my problem, I ordered 16 new Sealed Power lifters. I do think I have a poorly sealed ring on cyl #3, but not terrible. Will keep updated.

Here is a picture from south of Wamego, KS riding to the jobsite in company truck this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ah, but there are… Flint Hills
Even though they're not as big and cover less area, there's also the Smoky Hills. Where I live, there's hills too. There's not as many trees, but there's a lot more trees here than down south along the interstate. Here's a few pictures for a reminder.

Attachments

• 102_3602.JPG
    102_3602.JPG
    520.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_3615.JPG
    102_3615.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 102_3667.JPG
    102_3667.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 12