So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Not today but yesterday... My dad was helping someone move, after he unloaded he noticed his oil pressure gauge was low and red ENGINE light on... So I got to drive out there and hook a mechanical gauge up just to confirm it was a wiring issue... 25psi at idle. Always fun working on the side of the road. It already had a new pressure sensor put in it, but it is a 460 converted truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not today but yesterday... My dad was helping someone move, after he unloaded he noticed his oil pressure gauge was low and red ENGINE light on... So I got to drive out there and hook a mechanical gauge up just to confirm it was a wiring issue... 25psi at idle. Always fun working on the side of the road. It already had a new pressure sensor put in it, but it is a 460 converted truck.
Sounds like it's time for an aftermarket, real gauge.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh I already want one for when I finally get a turbo, want boost, egt, and coolant up there. Unless I get a 4 pod then I'll do voltage too.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
More patch work. Most came out really good, a couple came out mediocre but they are welded in solid and should clean up nice enough.

All the smaller patches are 1/16" boron steel plate. The vertical piece at the end is 3/16" beveled out so I could penetrate it without burning out the sheet metal.

You must be registered for see images attach

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Heres the last heavy plate where I left off this weekend. Going to try and get back on it tomorrow and start closing up the floor. then I get to crawl under there and weld up the cab mount.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got to use my IDI as a battery load tester. LOL

I drive class B shred trucks and I suspected mine of having a bad battery or two...the batts unhooked overnight test passed easily, good standing voltage. But it would drain down to barely turn over the truck when I came out of a stop just 15-20 mins later with the key on. (There is a remote start/stop for the engine outside the cab, so it's often left parked and not running but the cab key is in "run" for electrical purposes.)

So I disconnected the IP wire, unhooked my IDI batteries, installed a single group 31 from my shred truck and went to crank it over. It was pathetic! Not even one revolution then clicking. Battery started at 12.8v, after that 3 second test down to 10.4v.

So I got two new group 31's and now I have a much happier work truck. Horray!

For funsies I hooked up a single IDI battery(group 65?) And let it rip for about 10 seconds. Just that single turned over the engine fine with the Powermaster starter I have. Still way faster with full power but cool to know it would work.
12.54v to start, 12.36 after 10 seconds cranking. Pretty good!

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the center console latch break on me the other day and couldn't get my sunglasses out without presumable breaking anything(and the tools were mostly inside there). The new one arrive and I decided to swap out the internals into the old body to keep the lock. Not like its secure or anything, but I felt better about keeping a feature of the truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just took it grocery shopping. Nothing too unusual. What was unusual was what happened on the way home. As I was going down the highway, I felt a quick shake from the truck and felt it in the steering wheel. It felt like I ran over something, but I couldn't see anything in the mirrors. I pulled over on the shoulder and looked all around the truck, but I couldn't see anything. I wanted to get off of the busy highway so I drove about 25-30 for the 100 yards to where a dirt road met the highway. I looked all around the truck again. I even checked the driveshaft for play. It's more than it should have, but what it's always had so that wasn't it. I gave up and decided to drive home slowly on the dirt roads. I turned around and drove back to the stop sign and thought that I heard a noise when I pushed the brake pedal so I backed a slight hill to roll down. As I was backing up, I heard and felt a loud "bang" that sounded like I had backed into something, but nothing was there. About 1/4 mile farther, a dirt road went the other direction from the highway toward home so I limped along the shoulder to that road. After turning off of the highway again, I shut off the engine and hit the brakes a few times. I could hear a grinding noise for sure and I thought it was on the driver's side. I crawled underneath the truck and found that all of the hardware that holds the caliper on was missing on the driver's side! I put on my MacGyver hat and decided to pull the caliper off and drive home. After I got the tire off, I took a socket out of the set that I carry to change tires and drove it between the pads to keep them from expanding. Then I took a small can of WD-40 and taped it to the caliper to hold the socket in. Then I took a couple of old, nasty ratchet straps that I had along and tied the caliper to the back of the leaf spring. I put the tire back on and drove home taking it easy on the brakes.

Attachments

• 101_2069.JPG
    101_2069.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 101_2072.JPG
    101_2072.JPG
    508.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 101_2073.JPG
    101_2073.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 101_2074.JPG
    101_2074.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 101_2076.JPG
    101_2076.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 11

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey! I didn't watch MacGyver for nothing!:cheers: All I can really do is laugh. I made it the last 17 or so miles home. Tomorrow, I'm either going to buy some new hardware or take it off of another truck. I forgot to mention that I had seen the piece that holds the lower slider in the mirror when I was driving along the shoulder. I walked back to pick it up. A REALLY nice looking young lady stopped and offered me a ride back to my truck so of course I accepted. If I was about 25 years younger, I would have been all hot and bothered over her. It wasn't exactly sweltering with a high temp of about 80*, but she was still showing most of it all off.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took it grocery shopping. Nothing too unusual. What was unusual was what happened on the way home. As I was going down the highway, I felt a quick shake from the truck and felt it in the steering wheel. It felt like I ran over something, but I couldn't see anything in the mirrors. I pulled over on the shoulder and looked all around the truck, but I couldn't see anything. I wanted to get off of the busy highway so I drove about 25-30 for the 100 yards to where a dirt road met the highway. I looked all around the truck again. I even checked the driveshaft for play. It's more than it should have, but what it's always had so that wasn't it. I gave up and decided to drive home slowly on the dirt roads. I turned around and drove back to the stop sign and thought that I heard a noise when I pushed the brake pedal so I backed a slight hill to roll down. As I was backing up, I heard and felt a loud "bang" that sounded like I had backed into something, but nothing was there. About 1/4 mile farther, a dirt road went the other direction from the highway toward home so I limped along the shoulder to that road. After turning off of the highway again, I shut off the engine and hit the brakes a few times. I could hear a grinding noise for sure and I thought it was on the driver's side. I crawled underneath the truck and found that all of the hardware that holds the caliper on was missing on the driver's side! I put on my MacGyver hat and decided to pull the caliper off and drive home. After I got the tire off, I took a socket out of the set that I carry to change tires and drove it between the pads to keep them from expanding. Then I took a small can of WD-40 and taped it to the caliper to hold the socket in. Then I took a couple of old, nasty ratchet straps that I had along and tied the caliper to the back of the leaf spring. I put the tire back on and drove home taking it easy on the brakes.
MacGyver lives!!! I love it!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I saw a guy two weeks ago with a early 2000’s F-150 driving down the freeway with his front drivers side caliper dangling from the brake hose. Still trying to think how that got past the rim and rotor but it did. Tried honking to get his attention but he did not look my way.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine did fall off when I took the tire off, but not before. It was having too much fun digging grooves into the rim to leave the party at that time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online