So what did you do with your truck today?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5th Wheel hitch finally installed! It was painful drilling all those holes. Eight 1/2" holes through the frame, twelve 1/2" holes through the bed floor. At one point I had a Milwaukee in each hand, one was an 18volt, the other was a 12oz! Finished job fits nicely under the tonneau cover.
You must be registered for see images attach

So no more slide in camper?

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally finished the rear end swap last night - took nearly a month between dealing with work, family, a Tropical Storm, and ordering parts - I had to get a 1330/1350 cross u-joint to keep the yoke on the '95 F-250 rear end from a gasser. Now, to see if it'll start, and drive it some!

Eli

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not mine but I'm gonna count it anyway.

Father in law bought an old uhaul with the 460 in it. We were going to do a tune up and a few other things but he bought parts for a 79 instead of a 97 cookoo

Changed out a blown brake line and patched a tailpipe back into the muffler. It's not overly loud. I told him we're only doing the bare minimum until it passes inspection. Not making that mistake again!

Have to track down a couple clearance markers and wire up a plate light, then it should get a sticker.

Doesn't seem too bad, frame's pretty rusty but seems solid.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally finished the rear end swap last night - took nearly a month between dealing with work, family, a Tropical Storm, and ordering parts - I had to get a 1330/1350 cross u-joint to keep the yoke on the '95 F-250 rear end from a gasser. Now, to see if it'll start, and drive it some!

Well, it started fairly easily after close to a month of sitting, and drives. Unfortunately, there's still wheel bearing noise - I'm hoping from the front end. Anybody want to buy a solid, strong running '91 F-350 CC SRW? I don't have the time or money to put into it.

Eli

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So no more slide in camper?[/QUOTE]
Yep, still have the slide in and in fact I'll be setting it on this week. Bought the 5th wheel for "non-huntin" camping when the ol girl goes along. Slide in is just a little to primitive for her. 5'er needs a little work however the price was right. Needs an awning, and tires. Planning to do an "axle flip" on it to gain ground clearance + four new aluminum wheels & tires (after this hunting season). Hoping to be ready for 2020 trout season!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no more slide in camper?
Yep, still have the slide in and in fact I'll be setting it on this week. Bought the 5th wheel for "non-huntin" camping when the ol girl goes along. Slide in is just a little to primitive for her. 5'er needs a little work however the price was right. Needs an awning, and tires. Planning to do an "axle flip" on it to gain ground clearance + four new aluminum wheels & tires (after this hunting season). Hoping to be ready for 2020 trout season![/QUOTE]
Am I correct in assuming that you have to pull the fiver hitch to slide the slide in in...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, still have the slide in and in fact I'll be setting it on this week. Bought the 5th wheel for "non-huntin" camping when the ol girl goes along. Slide in is just a little to primitive for her. 5'er needs a little work however the price was right. Needs an awning, and tires. Planning to do an "axle flip" on it to gain ground clearance + four new aluminum wheels & tires (after this hunting season). Hoping to be ready for 2020 trout season!
Am I correct in assuming that you have to pull the fiver hitch to slide the slide in in...[/QUOTE]
I would guess so or he’d be tripping over it after it poked through the floor of the slide in. LOL

What I really heard here was the 5er will be ready for the 2020 rally....

[emoji16]

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5th wheel hitch itself is removable by pulling four pins however the rails are bolted in. I thought about letting the rails in the truck and simply building a grid with 2 x 4's laying flat, allowing the slide-in to sit above rails. After further consideration I thought the camper sits high enough as it is so I removed the rails yesterday. All of the hardware is new so removal was easy. We have a couple rainy days forecast, then I'll load the old camper and it will be there till January.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[

What I really heard here was the 5er will be ready for the 2020 rally....

Yes, I gotta attend one of those "hoedown's"!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drained the 2.5 gallons of diesel from the oil pan. Even after 48 hrs. soaking, it wasn't very dark. Which I guess is a good thing. Put in 9.5 quarts of new 15W-40, punched a hole in the filter and removed it, installed a new FL-1995, added another quart, cranked the engine for about 30 sec. with the FSS disconnected, then fired it up.

Naturally the dash gauge reads exactly the same. So the next move is to hook up a mechanical gauge and see what exactly the hot idle and cruise pressure is.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wasn't very successful. I was going to install my new tires and the Equal Flexx in each tire. I started off good. The old tire came off easily. The new tire didn't want to go onto the rim. I finally gave up and treated it like I do ATV tires and flipped the tire upside down and installed the rim into the tire (instead of the tire on the rim). Then. I flipped it back over and the outer bead went right on. Then came the big issue. The tires are so compressed from shipping (from Tire Buyer.com) that the beads are about 3" apart on all 4 tires. I couldn't get them to start to take air. My bead seater didn't budge them. Ok. Now it was time to get serious! I went and found the can of ether. That tire went right on with some explosive help. The second one was just about the same so I just went for the ether. I couldn't get that thing to seat for anything. I went through a whole brand new 10.7 Oz. can of ether and only got one tire seated. Not to mention that I no longer have any hair on the back of my hands. I did let loose with several 4 letter words, but that tire just laughed at me. I dismounted a tire of of one of my spares and put one of the old tires on that rim to put back on the truck so I could go home. Now that one was much better. All I had to do was put the valve core back in and air it up. It had a small leak before the tire was seated so I picked up on the rim and the tire aired right up. Now I have to go to town in a couple of days when it's rainy and cold so that I can get some more cans of ether and get the rest of the new tires mounted. The one that's mounted does look good. The plan is to put the new tires on the truck, then take the better two and put on the spare rims to replace the tires that aren't very good. Then the other two tires will go on my pickup box trailer.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out this video:

Getting the tire bead to seat on the rim without using ether.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I like blowing things up as much as the next guy, but I think I'll use his method over ether lol

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk