So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to let it cool down now, then I'll top off the water and heat it up again before letting it sit overnight. Tomorrow I'll flush it really good multiple times before filling it with 50/50 ELC and distilled water.

Well @IDIBRONCO expressed concerns about possible issues if I left it overnight, so out of an abundance of caution I pulled the block drains and the lower radiator hose and poured two gallons of water down each of the heater hoses (and through the heater core). I poured two gallons through the radiator, then plugged the bottom of the radiator and filled it with water before pulling out the plug.

I was quite impressed with the crap in the drain pan!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm glad I flushed it!

I do need recommendations though. Do I need to fill it with water and heat it up again or do you think I've flushed enough of it out to just fill it with coolant? I plan on dropping in a new MOTORCRAFT thermostat just to be safe.

It's going to sit overnight with the block drains out and lower radiator hose off.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well @IDIBRONCO expressed concerns about possible issues if I left it overnight, so out of an abundance of caution I pulled the block drains and the lower radiator hose and poured two gallons of water down each of the heater hoses (and through the heater core). I poured two gallons through the radiator, then plugged the bottom of the radiator and filled it with water before pulling out the plug.

I was quite impressed with the crap in the drain pan!!!!

I'm glad I flushed it!

I do need recommendations though. Do I need to fill it with water and heat it up again or do you think I've flushed enough of it out to just fill it with coolant? I plan on dropping in a new MOTORCRAFT thermostat just to be safe.

It's going to sit overnight with the block drains out and lower radiator hose off.
Honestly, that picture is almost exactly what my coolant looked like when the oil cooler blew on my engine

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, that picture is almost exactly what my coolant looked like when the oil cooler blew on my engine

No. I'm not listening to you!

Seriously though, I really hope there's no issue with that. When I drained the coolant originally it was nice green, and there haven't been any signs of coolant in the oil either.

I'll double check the oil again tomorrow though. *sigh* thanks for the heads up just in case though.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it’s just from the insides just getting de-scaled. I don’t think you have anything to worry about if the original coolant before the flush was clean. Also, usually when a cooler blows, oil can get in the coolant, but coolant can’t get in the oil because of the pressure differences in the cooler, so it’s kinda rare to get coolant in your oil when the cooler goes.

Hopefully it’s just from cleaning in your case though!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hopefully it’s just from cleaning in your case though!
I'm pretty sure that's all that this is. Chillman, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a straight water flush, including running the engine at least until the thermostat opens, one more time. I doubt that there's enough vinegar left right now to hurt anything, but if it was mine, I'd do another flush. I'd probably let it run until the thermostat opens and then drive it around for 5 miles or so. It's probably not necessary to drive it any, but that's the way that I do my flushes. Besides, it beats standing around watching your engine run and then draining the coolant again.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's all that this is. Chillman, it probably wouldn't hurt to do a straight water flush, including running the engine at least until the thermostat opens, one more time. I doubt that there's enough vinegar left right now to hurt anything, but if it was mine, I'd do another flush. I'd probably let it run until the thermostat opens and then drive it around for 5 miles or so. It's probably not necessary to drive it any, but that's the way that I do my flushes. Besides, it beats standing around watching your engine run and then draining the coolant again.

Is there anything special to bleeding the air from these?

I filled the radiator and it left a LOT of air, wasn't until I poured a gallon or more through the heater hose that it got heat. Only scares me because I had it running until the high idle kicked off before I filled it through the heater hoses.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I cant find any pre bent brakeline kits for a 1989 f250 supercab. Every other model configuration pretty much. Is there a cross reference I'm missing? Closest I can find is non supercab long bed that I was thinking may work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special to bleeding the air from these?

I filled the radiator and it left a LOT of air, wasn't until I poured a gallon or more through the heater hose that it got heat. Only scares me because I had it running until the high idle kicked off before I filled it through the heater hoses.

I filled mine all the way up, ran it till the thermostat opened, then it took another gallon Of water and a quart of SCA

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I cant find any pre bent brakeline kits for a 1989 f250 supercab. Every other model configuration pretty much. Is there a cross reference I'm missing? Closest I can find is non supercab long bed that I was thinking may work

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know, but a couple guys on here have had issues with the pre bent lines just fyi. I don't really recall the issues exactly. I think @laserjock they had sent him the wrong material and maybe @catbird7 was the other one with issues?

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read about problems here with inline tube and I also know several Oldsmobile guys had the same problems with them. I would say buy from someone else or make your own.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the song goes, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

Yup, the overflow nipple broke off. And surprise! It's probably still in that hose that got dropped off at the landfill this morning :frustrate

Well at least I should be able to solder a new one on, I hope.

Flushed the cooling system again with water, unplugged everything while it was still hot before it had a chance to settle. I'm going to let it sit and cool a couple hours before pouring water through everything to finish flushing it. Then I'll button it back up and fill it.

Took the dually to the landfill this morning. Got the weight slip.

7340# with a bunch of junk in the back seat. Total weight of the passengers is a little over 500#. 5/8 tank of diesel.

This truck must only weigh around 6700 empty, which is quite impressive for a crew cab dually.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but a couple guys on here have had issues with the pre bent lines just fyi. I don't really recall the issues exactly. I think @laserjock they had sent him the wrong material and maybe @catbird7 was the other one with issues?
I had a miserable experience with inline tube. I had to call them to get the “correct” lines for my truck. Not in the catalog.

Bottom line is this. If you go with them, pull everything out and check it immediately. The first set of stainless lines they sent me were not stainless. Some of the fitting were wrong. I didn’t install them for almost a year and of course I couldn’t return them. Once I got stainless lines, it took 3 more tries to get all the pieces. Even with explicit pictures and description. One particular point of pain was the front brake divider block. Some trucks have a divider block and some have the divider on the driver side hose connection. I ended up being able to reform that line to fit. I believe default is divider block from them.

Buyer beware.

Problem is they are about the only game in town so if you go down that road, be prepared.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If by that you mean 2wd

Yes... For now.
Yeah, I meant 2wd, I accidentally put the 2 and the 4 in backwards order.
I imagine you’ll be closer to 7200# empty after it becomes a 4x4.

Yup, the overflow nipple broke off. And surprise! It's probably still in that hose that got dropped off at the landfill this morning :frustrate
Good luck with that radiator! I hope you are able to put in a new Overflow nipple on without too much trouble