So what did you do with your truck today?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did a 170 mile trip Sunday and all was fine till I saw oil spots on my tail gate. Looked under engine and found the oil filter leaking. no matter what I do by hand I just can't get the oil filters to seal well. I have never used a wrench to tighten them or remove them either. Might have to try that someday soon. The filter I have in there now is a Wix or Nappa gold. Can't recall but its painted black that I remember. I have always used the Motorcraft 1995 psd filters but even most of them leaked too. I was very careful to make sure the filter housing on the oil cooler header was smooth and no burrs in it too when I rebuilt the engine. Its easy to rub a smooth single cut file on the gasket surface to take off any burrs that stand up. Nice clean even cut was seen. No cracks either. I always oil the gasket too. I'm thinking now I just can't get it tight enough with my hands any more. May need some helper for this simple job... Truck ran fine other than that small issue but it becomes a big issue when thats all you have that goes wrong...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually take my filter wrench and give it about 1/8 turn after hand tight. Means it has to come off with a wrench but I have never had one leak. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Read a lot of Tech notes about IDI.. So today I finally wired my Glow plugs to push button.. Mounted my new electric faucet lift pump. Tore my dash apart to figure out all the crazy wiring the PO did and also to get ready for my new MAXTOW gauges (oil pressure, water temp and EGT). I have working on my 86 Ford F250 4X4 on and off again for a few weeks now
Things that I have done thus far.
Removed engine ( blown head gasket)
installed ARP head studs ( New gaskets on the top end)
New glow plugs
New Delphi BB injector (Conestoga diesel) and return lines
Fresh paint on motor after degrease everything
re-installed motor

Thanks to all on the forum page..
Chris

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Picked up the truck from the shop today.

New: brakes all the way around
-rear axle yoke
-e brake cables
-tie rod ends
-front axle shaft u joint
-rear driveshaft u joints
-king pin bushing replacement
-oil change

I think that was the bulk of the work. Brakes are awesome, time for hydroboost and she steers a lot better too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a 170 mile trip Sunday and all was fine till I saw oil spots on my tail gate. Looked under engine and found the oil filter leaking. no matter what I do by hand I just can't get the oil filters to seal well. I have never used a wrench to tighten them or remove them either. Might have to try that someday soon. The filter I have in there now is a Wix or Nappa gold. Can't recall but its painted black that I remember. I have always used the Motorcraft 1995 psd filters but even most of them leaked too. I was very careful to make sure the filter housing on the oil cooler header was smooth and no burrs in it too when I rebuilt the engine. Its easy to rub a smooth single cut file on the gasket surface to take off any burrs that stand up. Nice clean even cut was seen. No cracks either. I always oil the gasket too. I'm thinking now I just can't get it tight enough with my hands any more. May need some helper for this simple job... Truck ran fine other than that small issue but it becomes a big issue when thats all you have that goes wrong...

I usually take my filter wrench and give it about 1/8 turn after hand tight. Means it has to come off with a wrench but I have never had one leak. :dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine usually leak as well. i always get the napa gold which are made by wix i believe. anyway nothing i do gets them to stop leaking. checked the surface no barbs or anything, i oil the gasket, i tried the trick of turning it back just a hair after tightening it, crank it on there with a wrench, doesnt matter just figured it was destined to leak. but the one i have on it now, does NOT leak!!!! :eek: no idea why, only hand tightened it and didnt turn it back. just got lucky i guess.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Put new block heater cord on and jumped it last night. Let it run for half an hour then went for a little drive. ******* still wouldn't start this morning :mad:
Batteries are 4yr old and it's like -5 out. I think they finally gave up. Or the alternator isn't charging. It's cold and dark by the time I get home from work. Might have to give up til Friday.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
mine usually leak as well. i always get the napa gold which are made by wix i believe. anyway nothing i do gets them to stop leaking. checked the surface no barbs or anything, i oil the gasket, i tried the trick of turning it back just a hair after tightening it, crank it on there with a wrench, doesnt matter just figured it was destined to leak. but the one i have on it now, does NOT leak!!!! :eek: no idea why, only hand tightened it and didnt turn it back. just got lucky i guess.

Most oil filter leaks are from overtightening. Its very easy to do. I always tighten mine by hand. Never has one leak since I started doing that.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally installd a step on the passengers side so my Wife doesn't have to use a step stool to get in. She is happy now (at least for a little while)

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 19

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice step! I bought a 77 250 that had something like that welded on the cab and frame, but not nearly as robust.

Love your truck!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's nice and balmy here in wonderful WI, huh? I've been outside working on a fuel delivery issue for a while, the lack of heat doesn't help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin