So what did you do with your truck today?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tore the back door apart and fixed the last actuator I never replaced in the truck when I bought it. I finally have 4 working doors with power locks and two front doors with power windows.

I put my new motorcraft fan clutch I got from a closeout on rock auto on my 7.3 today. I was awaiting the depression of losing horsepower, only to realize that the old clutch wasn't bad at all and I never put my fan shroud back on after I had done my water pump last fall. I never really thought much of it putting the truck back together at the garage today that the fan shroud had been sitting against the wall for months.

I mean how stupid do you have to be. I even tested the truck the other day and let it sit and idle with the ac blasting and the heat just kept climbing to 220. Probably because the fan didn't really think it was that hot yet. Either way the new clutch won't hurt since it's motorcraft. I'm gonna keep the old one and clean it up. I remember why I didn't put the shroud back on, I couldn't get it off in one piece and cut it in half. So I jb welded it back together today and things are sitting and drying over night.

Just about tied back up everything with the 7.3 truck pre-rally.

Took the old shocks off on the 6.9 only to remember I don't have the new shocks yet. Site hasn't even shipped my bilstein shocks yet. Realized the old 6.9 with front leafs doesn't really "need" the shocks to sit on tires. I almost want to take it for a ride without them and see if I even notice they are gone.. haha

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally fixed the chirp in my serpentine belt system... this one was the tensioner itself. I found a deal on a new genuine Ford tensioner (with shock) for $75 shipped. Now that I ordered a new one, the old one I lubed and reinstalled will likely never chirp again ;)

Also added a little more R134a to the now-properly converted a/c which I'd somewhat undercharged (18 oz. of 134a, where the original called for 44 oz. R12. Many conversion factors are 60 to 80% of the original charge). At 80F ambient, it's running 27 psi low and 195 psi high, sitting still at idle, with nice cold air coming out of the vents on Max and the cab door open. I used a red orifice tube to replace the completely clogged blue one. If it doesn't cool well enough on a humid 90 degree day, there are lots of options (add an aux fan to the condenser, replace the old tube & fin condenser with a better one, alternative refrigerants...)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I installed a high-pressure cutoff switch for the a/c compressor (something else Billy-Bob didn't bother doing when the truck was sloppily converted to R-134a). Since the system had to be evacuated anyway to install the tee at the high side port, I decided to try "Enviro-Safe" refrigerant. About 17 states were successfully lobbied by refrigerant manufacturers and MACS to ban hydrocarbons, but fortunately mine is not one of them (as if anyone would be looking. No one works on my a/c but me anyway). The high side pressure is about 10-15 psi lower now and the air is even colder at the vents :)

Also I picked up a vacuum-operated heater valve to shut off the heater core on Max A/C, but couldn't install it with the engine hot, and I thought I had the right size hose clamps but didn't. Will plumb that in tomorrow. I may just cut the heater hose with a bucket underneath it and stick the valve in quick ;)

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight I received the best delivery (after the delivery of my kids of course hee hee) I could have hoped for thanks to a hard working member and their truck!

It has been sitting for years, a year and a half in my dad's forest and another year at someone's shop/house.

So I started with the basics. New oil, fuel filter. She started right up after a tiny bit of coaxing! I have a long road ahead of me but I'm so happy to have this pig back! I wanted to do a build thread to keep myself motivated but there really won't be any building haha

I started my day, however, bent in a horribly uncomfortable position diagnosing a no-start on a boat. I fully respect that marine labor rates are double auto repair labor rates!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to Autozone and got their loaner pulley puller/installer set. Vac pump from Rock Auto in hand. Now looking outside at the truck, while I am still parked on the couch :)
I just did one on a 96 bronco. That pulley gave me a run for my money haha. I pb blasted overnight and finally came off

Edit:

It was an 02 E450, not a bronco haha

Last edited:

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered some more parts again....
Hopefully I will start putting some of these parts on this weekend. Have to get 2 more sensors/senders i think then all the electrical stuff will be new.

Does anyone know the correct name of the silver connector on Glow Plug Harness for the wires? We are building a new line as this one is crap and cannot find that piece anywhere. Thanks

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I will start putting some of these parts on this weekend. Have to get 2 more sensors/senders i think then all the electrical stuff will be new.

Does anyone know the correct name of the silver connector on Glow Plug Harness for the wires? We are building a new line as this one is crap and cannot find that piece anywhere. Thanks
Erm, if you mean the plug wire/connector, they arr unobtanium. You can pick up a ford 6.0 glow plug harness for around $50 and use the ends of that - the diameter/plug ends are the same.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If your yellow wires are melted there I always bypass the silver connector and run a separate weather pack connector just for the glow plugs. Otherwise I have a couple spare engine harnesses if you want to just start fresh

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to town in torrential (at least part of the time) rain. Figured I might need the 4WD on our mud, I mean dirt roads. That damn chirp is back! Lucky I ordered the tensioner and it is due to arrive in the mail on Sat.
Meanwhile the alternator rebuild kit came today. So those are the next two jobs once the monsoon retreats (allegedly by 2 AM).

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just rebuilt the alternator for the truck. Easiest one to work on that I've ever seen - literally takes 5 minutes to remove or reinstall. The rebuild kit was $27 which beats the heck out of $160 for an already-built replacement, made on a production line by a Chinese guy working as fast as possible!

I also clamped the feed heater hose, cut it and inserted a vacuum-operated shutoff valve ($19 from Autozone). Now I just need to find a 1/8" vacuum tee somewhere so I can connect it to the recirc door line.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I just need to find a 1/8" vacuum tee somewhere so I can connect it to the recirc door line.

Can't say about AutoZone, I try to stay away from there but the local Advance Auto carries vacuum tee's in little blister packs.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight I received the best delivery (after the delivery of my kids of course hee hee) I could have hoped for thanks to a hard working member and their truck!

It has been sitting for years, a year and a half in my dad's forest and another year at someone's shop/house.

So I started with the basics. New oil, fuel filter. She started right up after a tiny bit of coaxing! I have a long road ahead of me but I'm so happy to have this pig back! I wanted to do a build thread to keep myself motivated but there really won't be any building haha

I started my day, however, bent in a horribly uncomfortable position diagnosing a no-start on a boat. I fully respect that marine labor rates are double auto repair labor rates!

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Hey, come on now, You can't just start out with an intro like that and then say there won't be a build thread! At least give us a backstory. Hell, if even half the trucks on the forum could talk...:popcorn

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USPS website says "Out for Delivery" of my new belt tensioner with shock, so I just took off the old chirping-again unit. Now listening for the mail-lady's Jeep like the dog and cats hearing a pull-tab can lid :)

She pulled up at the usual time at 10:20... popped it on (replaced the OEM plastic tensioner pulley with the new metal one I'd just bought) and no more chirping. For now! :Thumbs Up

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hauled my toy to play in the mud.

My buddy texted me saying he got one of my new steer tires mounted up, so I picked it up heading home. Found this lying next to the road. Guy said it works, just has a hole in the tank.

Got halfway home and stopped to find my front brakes smoking from the caliper dragging.... It's loose now so I'm going to leave it until payday. I'm broke...

Got the new tire put on when I got home!

The other one should be ready Monday or Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance