So what did you do with your truck today?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It went to last years rally. I don’t know how done it will be for certain but it will be at the rally next year.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point in just happy they all work and read correctly. They matched more when they were junk brand wise but quickly realized 1 at a time that each gauge [with the exception of the far right one] were garbage and the isspro and autometer and summit gauges began appearing. That far right temp gauge was 12$ on eBay and it's just as accurate as an autometer I have on my car. Ran both at a time with a T when I was replacing it and found i had a different problem on the car and that gauge was good.

The color variation is cool if nothing else now.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trailer yes, I believe cdl territory is 26-28k lbs gross

I believe a trailer with over a 10k gvw puts you in cdl territory automatically.

@towcat

CDL per law is required over:

CLASS B OVER 26,000# MAX GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT

CLASS A OVER 26,000# MAX GROSS COMBINATION WEIGHT

If your truck is rated/registered for 10,000 as is my F350, you can legally haul a trailer with a 16,000 gross weight rating. From what I'm told, NY goes by registration. If your truck is registered at 10,000 and your trailer at 16,001 you need a class A. Also, if your truck is (for the sake of discussion) registered for 25,000 you can only have a trailer with a max GVW of 1000.

This is NY at least, federal law could be slightly different, but will be close.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the Feds:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/drivers

Pursuant to Federal standards, States issue CDLs and CLPs to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.

Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

The way I read that is a combo over 26k OR a trailer over 10k.

My brother talking to a guy that does cdl license training realized he screwed up because he had registered his truck for full combination weight which is wrong. He registered for 18k. As soon as he hooked to the 10k trailer he was now at 28k gvw and technically required CDL. He’s in the process of fixing that. The combination can’t be over 26k but it’s that second part that gets you.

My two cents. It’s not my interpretation that matters though....it’s the DOT officer that matters.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed out my cab bushings the other day in an attempt to rid myself of a heinous random clunking. It seems to have worked, but that brought to light just how bad my tire imbalance is.

I thought I knew which tire it was. Swapped it out yesterday and I think it's worse :frustrate

Swapped my two left drive tires to my steers and visa versa. Hopefully it'll help.

I have new steers on the way... but doesn't it figure they're on back order!-cussI emailed requesting a lead time and their reply was
We are experiencing a large volume of order in this size at the moment that has caused a slight delay. We will be shipping out your tires ASAP.
We will be emailing you the Tracking number when they leave our facility.
So basically no help at all.

If they don't contact me by Friday night, I'll be calling. I realize it's "tire season" but cmon, am I waiting a week or a month? Ugh!

/rant