So what did you do with your truck today?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally sat down and swapped my new LuK 07-225 SMF kit into my '93, after (attempting to) weld the DMF solid.

Turns out I can now put one in in about 4-5 hours total, by myself. Though it does help to have an assistant for the 5 minutes of getting the ZF-5 back into place.

I'm /really/ happy so far. I picked up a PSI of boost at WOT(which makes me think that I didn't weld it correctly; something was probably still slipping), it feels much better, and I can rev it up to 3K and dump the clutch in second with no noticable slippage.
...Not that I do that often...

It was also a good thing that I did that this week; I found a problem left over from last weekend's clutch disk replacement. While working on that, I had an assistant. I had him pull off the driver's side rear tire and check the brakes; they were squeaking a little.
When he put it back on, apparently he misunderstood me because he only put the lug nuts on hand-tight.
So, I've been driving around for a week with loose lugnuts. They were all backed off by a good 1/8"!!!
Considering that Thursday night I drove down to the nearby city, 50 miles away and back... at 70MPH...
Yeah. Pretty thankful that nothing bad happened.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally sat down and swapped my new LuK 07-225 SMF kit into my '93, after (attempting to) weld the DMF solid.

Turns out I can now put one in in about 4-5 hours total, by myself. Though it does help to have an assistant for the 5 minutes of getting the ZF-5 back into place.

I'm /really/ happy so far. I picked up a PSI of boost at WOT(which makes me think that I didn't weld it correctly; something was probably still slipping), it feels much better, and I can rev it up to 3K and dump the clutch in second with no noticable slippage.
...Not that I do that often...

It was also a good thing that I did that this week; I found a problem left over from last weekend's clutch disk replacement. While working on that, I had an assistant. I had him pull off the driver's side rear tire and check the brakes; they were squeaking a little.
When he put it back on, apparently he misunderstood me because he only put the lug nuts on hand-tight.
So, I've been driving around for a week with loose lugnuts. They were all backed off by a good 1/8"!!!
Considering that Thursday night I drove down to the nearby city, 50 miles away and back... at 70MPH...
Yeah. Pretty thankful that nothing bad happened.
You almost missed having this happen to you, I’d double check the holes in your rims, mine were wallered out and I had to replace the rim.
You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are hub-centric steel rims, so they could probably be wollowed out and it would work just fine - the darned hub gets so tight that it takes a crow bar to get it off.

Also, the lugs have tapers on them, so they tend to self-center anyway.

That being said, I didn't see anything odd; I'm guessing the hub-centricness kept it from moving around too much. It probably just stayed in one angle position the whole time, which is probably why I had a bit of a vibration on that trip...

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@saburai I need room for activities. The under hood space was getting used by other more important things. so I simply relocated the washer tank and coolant tank in order to house my cold air intake.
Which by the way, I absolutely love it! The added whistley noises it makes are great. I haven't had a real chance to test if it drops egts, or anything else scientific, but it seems to have picked up a half a pound of boost cruising. But It has already paid off. I bought it to also remove clutter from the engine bay. I have always hated that ats turbo filter housing. Hate hate hate it. It takes up so much room, is always in the way, you have tor remove it to do anything, and it is a pain to remove. Can you say complainer? This CAI takes three hose clamps and its out of your way. But what i love about it, is the fact that I can see and access more of my engine. Like when I just happen to glance at it and see that I had improperly routed my throttle and cruise cables to where they rubbed on the dp. I promptly fixed that, but my thing was I loved that I could see it. I love being able to have more access to things easier.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go under the truck. Get some of that weight off the front end, fenders, core support, etc.
But, whatever works for you is best.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Found out my oil pressure gauge was made with the connections labeled wrong. Reversed them and boom! 50 psi cold idle 65 at 1000 rpm. I've always known the pressure was good from a liquid filled gauge I put on top of the engine but it's nice to see it on the gauge in the cab.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a drive today to run some errands, and was getting a pretty bad vibration at 60-70. Also had a couple of small clunks going from reverse to forward. The vibration was worst accelerating, backing off would make it go away.

Decided to check it out after getting at least one errand done, checked things out in the O'reillys parking lot on my way.

Found out that... the "middle" rear U-joint decided to disintegrate, and was clunking around. That would explain the vibration.

So... I changed the U-joint in the parking lot, beating it out with a hammer(actually HFT crescent wrench) and sockets.

Got it done, reinstalled and... Much better! Problem solved.

I have learned that I should really keep a sledge hammer in my kit of tools. I have one, but took it out of the truck to use and didn't put it back.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done! I even keep a small propane torch to help get things apart without power tools, it has come in handy more ran a few times LOL

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got some tow mirrors at a local junk yard for dirt cheap because the drivers side one was different- but it's only the mirror that's different and I found the same matching mirror at a different yard on the way home! The 250 is happy.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran a train tow for a customer from vacation park to storage yard. Truck towed it much easier than I expected. 32ft fully furnished.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Just did a superduty swap on my 91 f250 idi. Upgraded to 1 1/4 master cylinder new bearings all around new roters pads new shoes in the hat and drum spliced the brake lines to fit old rear brake splitter( not sure if it's called that, pics to follow ) re positioned shock mounts to my truck and loving the SD rear end with the 3.73 over my old 4.10