So what did you do with your truck today?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by GOOSE, Oct 28, 2012.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Primed the hood today. I just ran the wire wheel over it and wiped it down with denatured alcohol before brushing the primer on. I plan on running a DA over it and sanding it down before spraying it. It still looks better than the peeling paint so I'm ok with it. I really just want to protect it before road salt gets to it.

Before shot is a few posts up lol

20171019_181013.jpg

2. chillman88

Topcoated the hood finally. It's a 10' paint job but that's because I didn't use high build primer and block sand it smooth.

John Deere Medium Gloss Black

20171021_112836.jpg 20171021_112827.jpg

shawn deere and Thewespaul like this.
  3. chillman88

Before and after

[​IMG]
    20171021_173808.jpg

Can hardly tell the difference except for the sheen

20171021_173630.jpg

shawn deere likes this.
  4. SebastIDIan

SebastIDIan Full Access Member

Manhandled it off the trailer and torched the axle off. Next up is dropping the zf5 and tc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Well isn't that snazzy. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6. chillman88

Yeah, I feel bad for him not having to perch the truck on stands and worry about how to move it with no axle lol

7. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Last night on my way home I had a hard line crack for one of my injectors. I limped the truck to a lit gas station 15 miles away, I have a spare set of lines under the back seat and I swapped it out and was on my way. Things would not have went so well in a newer vehicle if something serious like that were broke. Now my truck is 100% fine but smells like diesel more then normal..

8. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Any chance you are missing the line clamps?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

9. BrianX128

BrianX128 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not now. When I got the truck they were missing so some of them already have some weak points I'd imagine. That's the main reason I keep the spare set and the wrench under the back seat lol. This is the second one that's cracked near the ip. Hopefully after 25k miles over the last year and a half the weak ones have already showed their faces haha.

10. pafixitman

pafixitman Registered User

Been having to fight the truck to start. I was pretty sure I did not have an air issue but since fuel system is on my to do list I did not rule it out. Ordered a DB Electric starter last week in hopes that was part of the issue since it seemed slow to spin. Went to do a dump run Saturday morning and was cranking on her more than normal. Decided to crawl under and look over the connections on the starter and discovered top bolt was just hanging on, bottom bolt by the frame rail was backed off about a 1/4 inch and the engine side bolt took two complete turns to tighten. Needless to say she fired right off after bolting the starter back on! A couple hours later Big Red showed up in my driveway and @laserjock dropped off a stud and nut for when the starter gets replaced :Thumbs Up.

Thanks again Mike!

laserjock and chillman88 like this.
  11. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

I bolted on a battery tender. LOL
    I went to start it Sunday morning for the first time in 3 weeks, and she didn't have enough juice in 35° weather (not plugged in either.....). I hopped in the car with the intention of jump starting it, and just took off in the car without thinking! LOL

12. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Lets see... This wasn't quite /today/, but this weekend.
    I decided to replace the DMF clutch in my '93, due to it slipping on me occasionally under full power since about February.

I got a new clutch disc and pressure plate($35 a few months ago), and tore everything apart.
    Pulled the old clutch disc and... it didn't look horrible. Decided to use the new one anyway, put it back together... Did a bit of research and came upon the stupid "torque limiter" "feature" of the DMF.

That's more than likely my whole problem, so I decided to "fix" the issue: I just welded the two halves of the flywheel together right around the edge; 6 1" welds next to each bolt.

It actually works; No more slipping, clutch feels nice... But the gear rollover noise at low speeds is *much* worse than the true SMF I installed in my '92.
    In my defense, the replacement clutch disc *does* have springs in it... but only a single set of them.

I've got a Luk 07-225 on order; should be here in a couple of days. Then, I get to do the whole mess over again.

Frigging Ford.

The only *good* news is that the spare S5-42 I picked up at the local wrecking yard for $150 or so... works perfectly, and better than the old one(needs a bearing or two and some synchros).

13. riotwarrior

riotwarrior Supporting Member Supporting Member

Fired black mamba...no prob...blue ox...is nfg

Made deal on a RC 92 F250 7.3/ZF 4x w dually converted rear...600 RECENT ENGINE WORK New clutch....pull n drop into blue ox....no 2011 so fk it...keep on keepin on

14. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you think welding the dmf would be possible without dropping the trans just by turning the engine over and working through the inspection cover? I don’t own a truck that still has a dmf so I can’t check myself

15. Wildman7.3IDI

Wildman7.3IDI Registered User

Hopefully you didn't unbalance the flywheel

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk