So what did you do with your truck today?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was interesting. I was up late last night trying to figure out brake issues on my truck and I put the wheels back on with my ancient half inch impact. I knew that impact had been getting a lot weaker lately but it was late and I was in a rush, if I had been working on a customers vehicle or equipment I would have properly torqued everything, but my personal truck never sees that much attention.

So driving down the highway maybe 60 mph, my wheel came off and passed me. I was able to slide the truck into the shoulder and onto the grass. Luckily no one was hurt and damage to my truck was minimal. Can't tell you how lucky I feel and really was a wake me up for not rushing even when not working for the dime
You must be registered for see images attach

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was messing around with my rad core support with a sawzall to get it ready for some good stuff and had the blade bent, kicked out, and poke a hole in my radiator. :idiot:

Fins are falling out of it anyway, so I was planning to replace it in the future.. guess the future is closer than previously anticipated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I put the wheels back on with my ancient half inch impact.

Exact reason I never solely use a impact for putting lug nuts on.
Seen it twice within a few weeks (different vehicles though) because of others incompetence.
Luckily for them, one was a tire shop, so they were responsible for all damages.

Is the wheel still useable?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep going to be using my overpriced torque wrench from now on, wheel was pretty scraped up on the hub side but I'm worried about the stud holes being wallered out from the loose lug nuts, taking the wheel to get looked at and balanced if need be, will probably end up replacing it

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Exact reason I never solely use a impact for putting lug nuts on.
Seen it twice within a few weeks (different vehicles though) because of others incompetence.
Luckily for them, one was a tire shop, so they were responsible for all damages.

Is the wheel still useable?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yep, I generally do 'em and check em..... Even if I don't use a torque wrench, I at least put a breaker bar on it and make sure they are tight.....

Dad had this happen once, right after an alignment, rotate and balance on his van.... The moon that he gets to drive on (the county/state calls them "roads".. but) is ******* the tires and alignment, so his vehicles normally get an annual alignment.... The shop he has used for years had just gotten a "here checks these out" from the big red and white truck..... This was in the early 90's and the rep wanted him to try out the new "torque sticks"... and see what he thought. He put them in the shop and told the guys to try them out. If you are not familiar with this product, they are a color coded set of what looks like extensions that each color is a specific torque at the proper "ugga - dugga"...... Dad's van was one of the first ones they had used these on..... Dad had driven the van for a couple days, and heard a noise from the rear of van, and he was just down the street from the shop, so he headed to the shop, and as he pulled into the shop, the rear wheel fell off....... (yep, just like Ron White) They pulled the van in the shop, found all 5 studs beat to hell, and all 5 lug holes in the rim were wallered out and the lug nuts were beat up also.... The replaced the lugs, studs and rim and sent Dad on the way with an apology. Also, when they figured out what happened, the owner grabbed the torque sticks out of the shop and threw them in his desk drawer with a "Well he's gonna hear about this....." (the guy in the red truck.....) From then on, to this day, every tire that is removed in that shop is checked, and double checked with a torque wrench.....

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Was messing around with my rad core support with a sawzall to get it ready for some good stuff and had the blade bent, kicked out, and poke a hole in my radiator. :idiot:

Fins are falling out of it anyway, so I was planning to replace it in the future.. guess the future is closer than previously anticipated.
Need a rad? I got one collecting dust, lol. Copper, dunno what shipping would be on one tho....

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Picked up another engine. That's it for a while. The garage is full!

I would have taken a picture of it on the truck, but I only though about it after it was off...and I wasn't about to put it back on just for a pic. :)

Edit: Realized I put this in the wrong forum. Should be in the PSD section. Doh!

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I broke it.:D
I got in at 8pm so it was still light out.Figured I would go ahead and pull my tank sending units and adjust the floats so the E didn't mean E exactly but leave a little reserve.So I pulled,adjusted them both made a good mess.All kinds of fun.I guess I shouldn't of gotten in a hurry and let the electric fuel pump purge all the air I introduced.Instead I started it up and she stalled out.Oh well I figured.I'll just prime it like I always do.Crank for 20 seconds,wait 2 mins to cool the starter,crank another 20 and she'll be running.Well no such luck.Tried over and over and old chip truck just doesn't want to go.
Maybe I gotta read about the smoke puff limiter again.First time priming with that in line.Maybe it needs to turned or something dunno.Got the battery charger on her.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on wheel situation, the rim is too bashed up to be balanced and the stud holes are wallered out. Got a new rim on the way, couldn't have been more lucky with this

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I crammed the idi, the f150, the zero turn, and the old case in the garage. Need to make some more room around the work bench now but at least I can fit all of the good ones under a roof for winter this year.

The poor f250 is never gonna be inside. Cap on the bed is too tall to fit in the garage.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I broke it.:D
I got in at 8pm so it was still light out.Figured I would go ahead and pull my tank sending units and adjust the floats so the E didn't mean E exactly but leave a little reserve.So I pulled,adjusted them both made a good mess.All kinds of fun.I guess I shouldn't of gotten in a hurry and let the electric fuel pump purge all the air I introduced.Instead I started it up and she stalled out.Oh well I figured.I'll just prime it like I always do.Crank for 20 seconds,wait 2 mins to cool the starter,crank another 20 and she'll be running.Well no such luck.Tried over and over and old chip truck just doesn't want to go.
Maybe I gotta read about the smoke puff limiter again.First time priming with that in line.Maybe it needs to turned or something dunno.Got the battery charger on her.

Well 5 or 6 seconds of cranking and chip truck was ready for work this morning.I thought for sure she was going to let me down for the 2nd time in 7 years but nope.One fuel filter gelling issue is all that's held her back from a work duty day thus far.If only employees couldn't be this faithful.:D

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So heading home from work today I gave her a little fuel to climb a small hill and pop! Pedal went to the floor and the engine went back to idle.

Somehow managed to break the $##&$# throttle cable!

It's been on there for about 4 months. I don't think I've even got a whole oil change on it (but its almost due).

Really made me upset being almost new.

I was able to grab what was left with some channel-locks and get off the road. Apparently there's a second nub on it, I was able to split the bushing and get it on to get me home.

Anyone happen to have the part number for either a GOOD aftermarket one or the factory one? It's still under warranty but I don't know if I dare trust it. Pioneer brand from RockAuto fyi.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So heading home from work today I gave her a little fuel to climb a small hill and pop! Pedal went to the floor and the engine went back to idle.

Somehow managed to break the $##&$# throttle cable!

It's been on there for about 4 months. I don't think I've even got a whole oil change on it (but its almost due).

Really made me upset being almost new.

I was able to grab what was left with some channel-locks and get off the road. Apparently there's a second nub on it, I was able to split the bushing and get it on to get me home.

Anyone happen to have the part number for either a GOOD aftermarket one or the factory one? It's still under warranty but I don't know if I dare trust it. Pioneer brand from RockAuto fyi.

That looks all too familiar, mine broke at the pedal a while back and this week it broke at the ip. Both sides are held together with clamps and zip ties but I ordered a rock auto throttle cable this week to replace it, hope I don't run into the same issues, maybe try to find a nos one on eBay?