So I think I have a problem here...

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I was just getting back into town after a two hour trip and I went to decelerate down a big hill, and something started grinding. Kinda high pitched, like ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, so I pushed the clutch and it went away. Long story short, I am pretty sure something is wrong with my transfer case, as it only malfunctions in 2HI and 4HI, but works just fine in 4LO.

Getting the thing off doesn't seem like a big problem, but what do I do after that? What do I look for, how much will it cost....

Thanks,

Brock

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would make sure that your transfer case is fully engaging. I've heard transfer cases make noise if they weren't fully engaged. After that I'd pull the plug on the transfer case and see how much was in it and what it looks like.

Good luck.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If you have a Borg Warner case the problem is more than likely the high low shift fork. It has plastic bushings that ride in the synchro hub and they wear out fallout melt etc. Usally from low oil but they do fail. When this happens the synchro will float back just ever so slightly and disengage with the magic ZZZZZZZZZZZ sound, pull it all the way back to 4LO it takes all the slack out and will stay in. The fork is about 35 bucks from Ford and a very common problem.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did that the oil pump in the t-case went out and the shift fork is toast as stated, also the engagement gear is bad. ford wants 80 bucks ,Ipaid 14 for mine from the gear shop. If you cant find reasonable parts let me know, cost plus shipping. I have a seal kit for a 1356 in hand.

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
Okay, I'm back. I finally got around to getting the transfer case off, and here's the question: After you unbolt the two halves of the case, what else do you have to do to actually get the two halves apart? I got them separated, but I can't get them all the way apart.

Brock

Chubbs090

Diesel-holic
Reaction score
there's a snap ring holding the speedo gear on that has to come off. there is also a little ball under the speedo gear thats a pain but dont loose it.

zpd307

Reaction score
the magic zzzzzzzz just started last night for me. here we go again....... can someone provide a link to the part #'s needed and directions to do it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a kit with gaskets,seals and fork inserts, I dont know how much time you have, I paid 25.00 for that could ship priority. You may also need # 22&29 not cheap, and a #6. I paid 8.00 for a new #6. ford wanted 68.00. If you cant get what you need for the price you want let me know.
Also the shift shaft and comb is ALWAYS loose in the case, I put a flat washer/shim between the plate and case, helps a bunch.
My pump went out so it was a lot cheaper to get another tcase to start with.
Those prices arent to bad on that site but some of the hard parts are pretty high.

zpd307

Reaction score
when will it end.... should i waste my time on the bearing kit. or do you think the seal kit would suffice. i know that i wont know until it is taken apart. which reminds me, where in the hell am i going to do this where it is warm. argggg. i suppose that since i am in there, i might as well do the pump. how would i know if the planetary, 29, is bad? what about chain tension. i should check my haynes, but i have a feeling it will not tell me much.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your going to go in and do the seals and pull it apart the smart thing would be just to get bearings for it too and do them so u know you won't have to pull it apart later if one of the bearings is ok but 100%. and on ur chain, the way i learned to check it (just got done with my manual trans and 4x4 systems this semester!) and the easiest way he showed us to check them was to set it on a table and have half of it or so hanging off the table and if it hangs down alot its to loose and needs changed, and to check on the sprockets where the chain hooks on at to see if theres any marks there and on the bottom part of the case to see if its been hitting on that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im going to have to pull my 1356 apart, the one for my brown trucks ZF5 4x4 conversion. Apparently i did something to it while carrying it up to the garage from the shed, and now it wont engage into anything but 2hi. What do you guys think I did to it? It worked before I hauled it up to the house, so I know it DID actually work, it just doesnt now.