smoke while on idle

78loadstar

Reaction score
1990 f-350 been sitting 4 years. Cleaned and repaired starter cables and two new batteries. Started on second try and ran rough but smoothed out after about a minute. Now starts within 15 or 20 seconds every time.
Problem is bluish smoke comes out exhaust pipe when idleing. If I rev it up smoke seems less noticeable. Planning on new injectors and glow plugs in near future. Have only run it about 15 minutes. Question is this normal on a engine that has been sitting a long time or is there something else going on? PO used ag fuel in it and still has half a tank. It is not licensed so I can't get to a station to put road fuel in it.
Thanx in advance for ideas and tips.

Dennis

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds somewhat normal to me, considering it’s been sitting for 4 years. I’m sure it’ll clear up after adding some diesel fuel cleaner to a fresh tank of fuel. Might be a good idea to change that fuel filter as well & filling it with sea foam.
If it continues, might need to look into freshening up the injection system.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^some good advice. Drive her and see if it clears up. If not I would start by advancing the pump a bit and see if that helps ya

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a new fuel filter full of ATF. Run it for a minute and then let it sit overnight. Some people have great results from the detergents in the ATF.

78loadstar

Reaction score
Thanx Guys, New to the 7.3 and diesels in general as a mechanic. Drove the big ones for 37 years but always had a mechanic to work on them.
Finishing up replacing or repairing everything from cab back. One new fuel tank, two showerheads,new brakes, e-brake cables, shocks, bearings and replaced lube in differential. Next week hope to start on everything cab forward. Appreciate the input. gives me an idea of where to go from here
Dennis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel