Smoke from air filter hose?

The Hajj

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a 2000 F350 that just had a new turbo put in it, but now I have smoke coming out of the ducting between the K&N flilter and the turbo housing when the motor is running.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

The Hajj

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Thats your crankcase breather. It is normal to have a little smoke/oil vapor coming from here. You can look under the plastic junction and see a little 3/4" hose connected to the valve cover and into that junction. Nothing to worry about. You should bypass it in my opinion and run it to the ground. They do this for emissions, routing it into the inake. It is also the cause for the oil buildup around your charge air hoses on top of the engine.

The Hajj

Reaction score
Thank You

I was worried something catastrophic happened to the engine or turbo. The shop that replaced the original turbo told me the air ducting leading to it had split and dirt had entered the turbo and ruined it. They did not think the engine was damaged, but I have been a bit worried.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

The Hajj

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad you found the info you needed here... On other sites this woulda been the start of an argument over what filter IS supirior... :rotflmao

NVCowboy

Reaction score
DmaxEter -

Can you expand a little on the hose you are talking about? I have the oil build up you are talking about, and it drives me crazy. All that oil makes me have visions of boost leaks, oil leaks, etc. Could very well have a boost leak anyway, but thats another story. You are the first person I have seen address teh cause of all that oil build up.

Cool ass dog by the way. I will probably get one in a few years, since I still have some time left with my now middle age German SHepperd Dog.

THanks
Bill

jvencius

Reaction score
NVCowboy said:
DmaxEter -

Can you expand a little on the hose you are talking about? I have the oil build up you are talking about, and it drives me crazy. All that oil makes me have visions of boost leaks, oil leaks, etc. Could very well have a boost leak anyway, but thats another story. You are the first person I have seen address teh cause of all that oil build up.

Cool ass dog by the way. I will probably get one in a few years, since I still have some time left with my now middle age German SHepperd Dog.

THanks
Bill

Do THIS PROJECT and you won't have to worry about oil buildup in the intercooler and intake any more. :thumbsup: FWIW, I scared myself a couple of days ago when I was out running errands. I stopped at the BORG to return some stuff, leaving my truck at high idle (~1500 rpm), and pulled the key out (DTLS kept it running for me). When I came back there was a visible cloud of "smoke" coming from underneath my truck and for a second I thought the truck was on fire but then I realized that it was the CCV dumping oil vapors so I was much relieved. Where's that "whew" smilie when you need one? ;p

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Reaction score
Ok, after reading, re-reading, and looking at all the pictures (3 Times), of the CCV mod, let me see how I am doing. Disclaimer . . .I grew up around the auto business, but my Dad tried to keep me as far away from turning tools as he could. He was mostly successful. My meager knowledge was picked up by osmosis. THat being said . . .

THe "crank case" builds up oily gasses that need a vent. THe stock system dumps the oily gasses into post air filter intake system? What purpose would Ford have for putting dirty air into the portion of the operating system that needs clean air? Emissions perhaps? What effect do the oily gasses have on the turbo.

The mod basically deletes the section of pipe that the ccv used to connect to. The heater hose vents the oily gasses under the truck rather than back through the engine? Does the undercarriage become the new place for the oily build up?