CCV mod with pictures

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 1: Gather the required supplies. I used the scrap piece of 4” exhaust pipe from my MBRP kit, Rustoleum primer/paint, and the stock hose clamps/intake tubing from my Tymar filter kit. Note, unlike most of my other automotive projects, there was no beer involved in this one since I did the work at the fire station and possession of any kind of alcohol is prohibited there. Besides, had I been drinking while doing this job, it would have taken four times as long, I probably would have gotten hurt, and the job would not have been not done nearly as well.

Mods--if you want me to write this up as an article for the tech articles here (or for the WIKI on SDD.com, just say so and I'll take care of it).

Attachments

• supplies.jpg
    supplies.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 25

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 2: Remove the driver’s-side battery (a ¼” drive ratchet with a short extension and a deep-well 8 mm socket works well) and as much of the intake/air filter snorkel as you can. Since I have the Tymar intake, I removed the battery and the canister filter. I also took the time to install an electrical-heater blanket on both batteries, since it has been known to get cold where I live and I got tired of having the heater wedged in place and not neatly attached.

Attachments

• warmers.jpg
    warmers.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 10

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 3: Using the same ¼” drive ratchet/extension/8mm deep-well socket you used on the battery, unbolt the CCV inlet housing (I’m not sure exactly what to call it) from the bracket. Also, if you haven’t previously relocated the stock CCV, do it at this time. I used a 10’ length of ¾” heater hose, two hose clamps, and a fistful of zip-ties to move the CCV on my truck. I hose-clamped the hose to the elbow on the factory CCV (having flipped the CCV cover end-for-end on the valve cover--you can see the hose/hose clamps on the elbow at the back of the first picture) then routed the hose over the steering shaft, down along the firewall, down the driver’s-side frame rail (zip-tying it in place along the way) and then terminated it just forward of the transfer-case skid plate. The hose points down and is cut off ~1” below the bottom of the frame rail. International has a nice metal CCV tube that bolts to the engine, but it costs ~$40 and looks to be a NIGHTMARE to install b/c of limited clearance between the engine and the firewall. I like my solution (it’s not my original idea, though) since it’s $30 cheaper and took a lot less time to install.

Attachments

• ccv_inlet__tube.JPG
    ccv_inlet__tube.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 21
  • cross sections.jpg
    cross sections.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 4: Cut a piece of 4” exhaust piping (as previously written, I used some scrap I had on hand, but most exhaust shops should have some you can get cheaply, if not for free) to 3 ½” long. With a half-round file, smooth the inside and outside edges of the cut to make sure there aren’t any chips or loose pieces that could come loose and get sucked into the compressor side of the turbo. I painted the pipe (and the Tymar elbow) with some Rustoleum primer/flat black paint just to look spiffy, but bare metal would work just as well.

Attachments

• painted tubes.jpg
    painted tubes.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 12

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 5: This step isn’t necessary, but I removed the driver’s side intercooler tube and stripped off the insulating wrap. IIRC, it took a 3/8” ratchet and 11 mm deep socket to get the clamps un-clamped. Since it was insulated for noise, not heat control, I figured that by removing the insulation I could gain a small amount of room in the engine compartment, plus it looks nicer. While the tube was off, I sprayed out the inside with brake cleaner to remove the oil residue from the stock CCV.

Attachments

• ic tube out.jpg
    ic tube out.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 13
  • uninsul ic tube.jpg
    uninsul ic tube.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 8

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 6: Take the piece of 4” exhaust pipe you previously cut to a length of 3.5”, press it into the turbo inlet pipe, and then snug, but not completely tighten, the hose clamp on the factory rubber tube.

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 7: If you previously removed the intercooler tube, reinstall it at this point. With the insulation removed, there is a slight (but definitely noticeable) increase in VERY high-pitched whistle under medium- to hard acceleration but at low throttle or steady-speed conditions there is no difference in sound.

Attachments

• ic tube back in.jpg
    ic tube back in.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 22

jvencius

Reaction score
Step 8: Reinstall the air filter and connection between the air filter and the location of the stock CCV inlet. Leave the clamps loose un-tightened until the whole air intake is in place. Once the filter/intake is in place and all the hose-to-tube connections are properly seated, then you can tighten the hose clamps.

Attachments

• still 'nuf clearance.jpg
    still 'nuf clearance.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 10
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 8

jvencius

Reaction score
In addition to doing the CCV mod, I also took care of a few “while I’m at it” projects, namely:

I cut off most of the bracket that holds up the plastic “Powerstroke” cover doodad over the fuel filter. I don’t see the point of keeping a decorative bit on the engine that has no practical function and with the cover gone the bracket just got in the way.

I cleaned out the parts of the engine I could reach since my old CCV catch bottle never really worked well and made a mess of things.

I installed a sacrificial piece of heater hose over the input line for my coolant filter since it was rubbing on the alternator bracket and I didn’t want it to wear through.

jvencius

Reaction score
FWIW, the insulation on the driver's side IC tube was a real ****** to remove, but with the right tools it was do-able. I used tin snips to cut the metal sheathing, then ripped off as much as I could by hand. Then, I used a wire wheel mounted in a bench grinder to take off most of the adhesive residue and finished up with a green Scotchbrite pad and Goo-Gone. That left a nice "brushed" finish that isn't too flashy but it's still clean-looking.

jvencius

Reaction score
gkscobra said:
Nice write up and pics, you able to hear more turbo now??

1st of all--welcome to OB.net I don't know if you're a TDS refugee or not, but if you are, you'll be quite pleasantly suprised with how things are run here. Unlike Der Fuhrer Lester's domain, over here and at Superdutydiesel.com, you can actually wish someone a happy birthday/speedy recovery or even say "fart" without getting moderated.

Now, to your questions: ;p

I had a Tymar intake on the truck before I did the CCV mod and the increase in turbo-sucking noise over the AFE Stage 1 kit I had before that (and the Amsoil drop-in filter before the AFE) was dramatic, to say the least. The only noise increase I can hear after the CCV mod/IC tube insulation-stripping is a high-pitched whistle under moderate- to hard accelleration. Other than that, the intake sound is the same. My Butt-Dyno isn't sensitive enough to tell if removing the little bit of obstruction the CCV inlet presented helps the turbo spool any faster, but it can't hurt and now (and for the last 50K miles, actually) the turbo isn't having to pass oil vapors from the CCV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online

No members online now.