California Diesel Conversion Tale of Woe

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
I hope this post helps others avoid ending up where I did...

I've owned a pair of one-ton "Chummins" trucks for a a while now. One for somewhat more than a decade. One for somewhat less than a decade. I did not do the conversion for either. Both vehicles, when I bought them had California titles with a "D" on them (meaning diesel). Both of them originally had 454s in them (as told to me by the sellers, at the time of the transfers). The fact that the trucks came with 454s is indicated in the VIN code, so there's no hiding this information. Back in 2020, while COVID was raging, I was shocked to see "Smog Check Required" on the registration renewal for both trucks. These trucks are 1988 and 1989, respectively, and in Ca, should be exempt from the biannual smog check, if they are diesels. I started down down the road to see the smog referee, but I chickened out at the last moment and cancelled the appointment. My logic was that the less the government knew about my vehicles, the better off I was. Instead I took a different tactic. I started calling DMV. It took many long calls with long hold times talking to folks that were clearly not knowledgeable about what was going on. Finally, after a month or so, I hit paydirt. I found someone that I could email an image of my titles to, and he got it fixed. A couple months later, I got my license plate stickers in the mail. I thought I was done. I suspected what had happened was that the looked at VIN codes indicating gasoline, and if the truck was marked otherwise, they just "fixed it". I found out a month ago, that I was right!

A month ago I got a letter from the Bureau of Automotive Repair stating that the 1988 was inappropriately marked as a diesel and that they have fixed it. And that now, I would be subject to smog checks. If indeed the truck has a diesel in it, I should see the referee. OK, so I did that. Apparently, even though you could just go down to DMV, and tell them it is a diesel, and hand over your title, and get a new in the mail, this wasn't kosher. You have to get a referee exemption, and that never happened for the truck.

I didn't know anything about the details of the Cummins engine other than it was likely mid-1990s; it has a P-pump, and it is a 12-valve. Well, now that the referee prompted me to find the engine plate, and send info about the 1988 truck, I know a lot more. Very bad news. I'll start from bad and go to worse. The first bad thing -- the Cummins was manufactured in 7/1997. 1997 Dodge Rams with Cummins in them had catalytic convertors. My 1988 truck does not. Oh, by the way, when upgrading a vehicle to a newer engine, all the new smog crap has to go with it. OK, so given that fact, to make this right, I would have to find and install an extra-special-california-compliant catalytic converter. But then there is the second problem, the 1997 vehicles are OBD2 compliant. The 1988 truck would need to be as well. The engine computer from the 1997 vehicle was not transplanted along with the vehicle. Without that computer, and without knowing the old truck VIN, I don't know of any reasonable way to solve that problem. And now the pièce de résistance, the donor truck was federally-smog-certified, not California, and the 1988 truck is California-certified. That is the kiss of death. The engine swap would not be approved. Once my registration expires, the truck will be really big boat anchor.

So I would have been totally screwed. Now I'm still screwed, but a little less so. Turns out, thanks to Towcat, I have a 1993 Dodge D250 in my back yard, with a Cummins in it. Its been there for a decade or so. I bought that truck just for the motor -- a spare. I went through the process with the referee, asking "what if I put *that* motor in?". Turns out, that is OK. 1993: no cat, no computer, and California-certified. I do need to import the intake grid heater and the corresponding dash light (which I'm good with). So I can still keep and use my truck. I just have a lot of hard work to do to make it happen. I'm pretty sure the same thing is going to happen to the 1989 truck, and the news there is going to be really, really bad. I suspect that engine came out of a non-highway machinery. Maybe even a generator. That's even worse than a federally-certified engine. I may have to kill that vehicle. I do have a 6.2 I could put in it, but what is the point? The truck isn't useful to me with a 6.2.

There are other would-be-options. If the truck was garaged in California in a rural area, it would be exempt from Biannual smog checks (but not vehicle sale checks). Or, if it was registered out of state...Neither of those options work for me.

Anyway, now I'm moving through the various stages of grief. Now I'm trying to look at the bright side of things. I'm finally getting rid of that truck parked out back. I'm learning more and more about Cummins. This is like doing a conversion, without having to do all of the work, 'cause it already has a cummins. Now I have an opportunity to easily make sure I'm running with the KDP fix.

I am wondering what happens after I get the referee exemption. Guess I will find out. The question is, does the truck have to get inspected biannually, or is it like any other diesel of that vintage?

Anyway, if in California, doing a diesel conversion in a smog-check locale, and think you're going to be exempt from smog checks and will get away with it -- think again. Go through the referee, or don't do the conversion at all.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's some crazy mess. Maybe when the next earthquake hits you can fire up your reliable Cummins diesel Chevys and drive them to the east while California slides into the ocean.

@Clb , here's your blessed California at work!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bob_442 that sucks!! Can you use your “unable to be registered” pickup for spare parts? Or do you have a solution to get it registered and in CA’s good graces? Or will you have to sell it?

I guess the solution is to add a cat, and an OBD2 system, and use the industrial motor for backup....

Since the leaders of CO view CA as the model state, we will prolly be subjected to this as well. We’ve adopted CARB. The only thing going for me is we have 100 acres/county resident. So no smog of any kind....for now.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aint my ×××÷÷==/_>>>]]]
Government buddy.
Going to try and read thru it all.
Brb

Op
In no particular order...
The ref in Vallejo was awesome.
I bar/reffereed my 83 yota.

The cuttoff is 1976 iirc for biannual, gassers.
I think 97 for fuellers?

Non compliance is gunna kill you unless you pull the numbers from the cummins and see what is was delivered into.

You can call the referee and ask for the information on the smog componnent rebuilders they have.

( can this be done easily I dunno)

might contact a dmv approved " vehicle verification" company to ask what's the route to take...

The pre emission dodge,
Now that eng will bar either truck I believe.
Godspeed

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aint my ×××÷÷==/_>>>]]]
Government buddy.
Going to try and read thru it all.
Brb

Op
In no particular order...
The ref in Vallejo was awesome.
I bar/reffereed my 83 yota.

The cuttoff is 1976 iirc for biannual, gassers.
I think 97 for fuellers?

Non compliance is gunna kill you unless you pull the numbers from the cummins and see what is was delivered into.

You can call the referee and ask for the information on the smog componnent rebuilders they have.

( can this be done easily I dunno)

might contact a dmv approved " vehicle verification" company to ask what's the route to take...

The pre emission dodge,
Now that eng will bar either truck I believe.
Godspeed
I knew you'd know how to tame those commies!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not gunna happen

But

And I forgot about this one.
When you're not getting the results you need @ dmv, quit and walk out....
Go get back in line so you get a different experience.
I have seen close to a g notes difference depending on what buttons are pushed.
Also
Be nice it goes ALOOOONG way.
They have pissy people all day long.

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I might be inclined to find a similar chevy that has a diesel vin/registration... move the cummins and the other good parts over.

bob_442

mad scientist
Reaction score
@bob_442 that sucks!! Can you use your “unable to be registered” pickup for spare parts? Or do you have a solution to get it registered and in CA’s good graces? Or will you have to sell it?

I would be able to non-op the vehicle and continue to store it, or raid it for parts as I see fit. As for keeping it registered, it will have to depend on the exact engine details (which I'm not 100% sure of now), and of what parts/engines I have on hand at the time.

I guess the solution is to add a cat, and an OBD2 system, and use the industrial motor for backup....

I would probably need another '97 Dodge donor vehicle with a Cummins from which I could take the computer. Of course, I would take everything else along with it -- the cat -- the engine, etc.

Since the leaders of CO view CA as the model state, we will prolly be subjected to this as well. We’ve adopted CARB. The only thing going for me is we have 100 acres/county resident. So no smog of any kind....for now.

My bro lives in CO -- north of Denver. He is subject to smog checks. Googling, in many respects, CA is better for older diesels. CO doesn't have smog exemptions for diesels of the 80's and 90's. I think if the truck was registered with collector plates prior to 2009, it might be smog-exempt. The grandfathering goes away on vehicle sale or registration lapse (pay that bill on time!). 1975 or older with collector plates are also exempt (not just grandfathered). I got this from a Boulder web site.

In CA, everything 1975 or older is exempt (for the time being anyway). I really miss that 25-year rolling exemption that went away years ago. It sure would have solved my current problems.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Another idea.... how about a different timing case with an older CPL # ?

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bro lives in CO -- north of Denver. He is subject to smog checks. Googling, in many respects, CA is better for older diesels. CO doesn't have smog exemptions for diesels of the 80's and 90's. I think if the truck was registered with collector plates prior to 2009, it might be smog-exempt. The grandfathering goes away on vehicle sale or registration lapse (pay that bill on time!). 1975 or older with collector plates are also exempt (not just grandfathered).
Oofta.....I better check on this. As my dad has a 1979 C10 big 10. I know Big10 was an emissions thing, but even late 70’s CA spec’d Big 10’s had cats. I don’t think dads is CA spec’d, but I’m not sure.

My plan was to bring that up here when dad passes, and swap a 6.2 in it to avoid EFI cause up here I feel like the elevation changes just too quickly for a carb.

I have some research to do to avoid pitfalls in the future. Joy!! And thanks for the info!!

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are CA counties that do not require biannual smog checks. Might be worth getting a PO box in one of those counties, San Bernadino, for instance, and registering your vehicle using that info.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Oofta.....I better check on this. As my dad has a 1979 C10 big 10. I know Big10 was an emissions thing, but even late 70’s CA spec’d Big 10’s had cats. I don’t think dads is CA spec’d, but I’m not sure.

My plan was to bring that up here when dad passes, and swap a 6.2 in it to avoid EFI cause up here I feel like the elevation changes just too quickly for a carb.
My Dad had a '79 C20 with calif emissioned 454. I later picked up a '79 C10 "Heavy Half" for parts, with the same calif emissioned 454. (Smog pump, dual cats.) Not sure why that crept into canada... km/h speedos too.

The key to beating elevation is a turbo or supercharger. I'd be lookin for a better diesel than a 6.2.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@u2slow thank you for your input!! I appreciate it.

Would a 6.2 with a turbo not suffice for a C10 with a turbo 350 and 2.56 gears?

Or would I be better off with the carb’d gasser and just adjust it?

I was hoping to be around 18-20 mpg. At 60 mph.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a 6.2 with a turbo not suffice for a C10 with a turbo 350 and 2.56 gears?

Or would I be better off with the carb’d gasser and just adjust it?

I was hoping to be around 18-20 mpg. At 60 mph.

I just can't help myself, here....gearing is one of my favorite subjects...

You might get the fuel mileage you want with that tall rear end gear....but I think...( I could be wrong...) that it will not have a nice amount of pull off the line...(takeoff from a stop)

Also...the diesel calibration was different from gas in the valvebody...the line pressure was higher at lower RPMs but the reverse apply was softened because the higher line pressure would have banged in reverse...and wore out the case lugs...

The Turbo 350 is a good transmission...but it is lacking an overdrive and a steep first gear ratio...although...did you know that it is possible to put a 700R4 planetary in a 350...? Takes a little machining and welding...but possible...

If it were me....I would run a 3.73 rear gear and a 700R4...that just seemed to work real nice for off-the-line takeoff and fuel economy on the highway...
...just find a road speed-engine RPM calculator and do the math with your loaded radius on your tire height and see if the 60MPH road speed jives with the engine RPM that you want to run...

Just my .02

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought of another possibility...the 2004R transmission was offered in a diesel calibration...the first gear ratio is not quite as steep as the one in a 700R4 but it is better than the 350 first gear...and you have overdrive and lockup convertor, too.

Also...the input shaft is more durable...believe it or not...than the 700 shaft...it only has one fluid passage through the middle of the shaft...whereas the 700 has a few...

Food for thought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online