SMF kits

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't gotten that far yet. I am currently resealing the donor motor and plan on pulling the engine from my truck in the next week and then I will decide if the flywheel I have is usable. My truck is going to be a work truck and tow vehicle so I want something that will hold up.
I'm not trying to tell you what to do here, but seeing how your truck will be used for a business and it will towing for that business, I would recommend doing away with the dual mass flywheel now. Even if it's ok now, it's only a matter of time before the dual mass flywheel is wore out. When it does, you'll be either dropping the transmission or pulling the engine in order to replace it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There's A LOT of stupid people on Face Book. At least they seem to be since they give such stupid, worthless answers.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on what IDIBronco said in regards to "eventually the DMF will wear out".

Since it's sitting in your driveway right now, go look at your flywheel and verify it it's dual mass or not. If it is, and it moves back and forth more than 1/2" or the springs are bulging, it's shot. Keep in mind: if it's dual mass, you really can't have it Blanchard ground or resurface it properly. You could clean it up by hand, but if there's been any heat/warping, you aren't going to get it flat like Blanchard grinding will.

If you really want to keep the cost down, do a search on the Lucky Mod. The Lucky Mod basically uses a drill press and some grade 8 hardware to remove the "movable" hub/guts, which essentially makes it a SMF.

If you plan on keeping the truck, I'd bite the bullet and buy the SMF kit. It only hurts once (when you buy it) and if that DMF comes apart with a load behind it, it could ruin your day more than the cost of the SMF conversion.

Good luck

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
: if it's dual mass, you really can't have it Blanchard ground or resurface it properly. You could clean it up by hand, but if there's been any heat/warping, you aren't going to get it flat like Blanchard grinding will.
I don't know what Blanchard grinding is, but when you have a dual mass flywheel resurfaced, all you have to do is remove the part that the pressure plate bolts to. It unbolts from the rest of the flywheel. Then have that part resurfaced. I've done that many times and never had any clutch chatter.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what Blanchard grinding is, but when you have a dual mass flywheel resurfaced, all you have to do is remove the part that the pressure plate bolts to. It unbolts from the rest of the flywheel. Then have that part resurfaced. I've done that many times and never had any clutch chatter.

Good call. After you've confirmed that the play in in the hub isn't excessive, you could separate the flywheel and get it resurfaced, and then reassemble.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giant precision grinders, usually vertical, were built by Blanchard in wartimes.
The moniker stuck for grinding flywheels and other things.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to tell you what to do here, but seeing how your truck will be used for a business and it will towing for that business, I would recommend doing away with the dual mass flywheel now. Even if it's ok now, it's only a matter of time before the dual mass flywheel is wore out. When it does, you'll be either dropping the transmission or pulling the engine in order to replace it.

I guess I should have said if the original DMF is in there it will be replaced, I wouldn't trust it at the age and milage. But the previous own said something about the flywheel and pressure plate being replaced. If he did it would most likely be a SMF due to the cost of the DMF. I would trash a DMF and resurface a SMF unless it was damaged in some way. But the previous owner lied to me about other stuff so time will tell about the flywheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7