1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMF kits

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Va_Mike, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Va_Mike

Va_Mike Full Access Member

I want to put a new clutch in while I have my engine out. I don't know what flywheel the truck currently has, how do I know if it is a single or duel mass? I am looking at the three kits they have on rockauto for the SMF conversion. Has anyone used the kits from there? This engine will probably only be in the truck a couple years so is there any problems with just going with the cheapest kit and then getting a good quality one when I put the rebuilt engine in later?

DEN1530 likes this.
  2. BlackNoma

BlackNoma Full Access Member

I am using a Luk SMF with the M-pact clutch disc and pressure plate. Works perfect.

I went this route instead of the DMF because I didn't want another clutch to worry about going out eventually... and it's cheaper for SMF. lol.

I figured our trucks will never be quiet anyway, so who cares about the extra chatter with the SMF?

3. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

Have never used a kit from RockAuto. Who makes those kits?

I have clutches from South Bend Clutch on both my IDI's. I used their SMF 13 inch kit on the 6.9 crew cab when I did the 460 ZF5 swap. It's worked well.

So you aren't planning on keeping the IDI in the truck for long? How much do you tow with the truck? How heavy? That will make a econo kit vs. quality kit decision easier.

Heath

4. Va_Mike

The kits available on rock auto:
    AMS Automotive 192.79
    Perfection Clutch 232.79
    Valeo 413.79

I was leaning towards the Perfection Clutch kit because they have a decent reputation.

I have read that The SMF is hard on the transmission and couses gear chatter? why?

If I have a dual mass flywheel and it appears in good shape can I just put a new clutch on it and go?

I will be doing some towing as this will be a business truck (8,000 -10,000)
    But I am going to rebuild the engine I am pulling and that will get better parts than this replacement gets.

5. hesutton

hesutton The Anti-Anderson Supporting Member

Valeo is a quality clutch. No experience with Perfection or AMS.

You will get more rollover noise with the SMF, but I've never read/seen where SMF's are a root cause for trans failure.

If you're gonna haul with the truck, I'd worry about slipping if the clutch quality isn't there. What spec's are given for the Perfection kit?

If your flywheel is good, and you plan on reusing it..... be sure to have it surfaced before putting a new pressure plate and disk on.

Heath

riphip likes this.
  6. Oldiron

Oldiron Full Access Member

2nd on the flywheel resurfacing. I have always done it that way, but friends haven't, and there is a differance

hesutton likes this.
  7. Macrobb

Macrobb Full Access Member

Get the Luk kit. They work great. Minimal rollover noise.
    I think I got mine from PartsGeek; they were cheaper than those prices by far.
    And, of the last 2 clutch replacements I've done... it's been the flywheel(and it's built in 'torque limiter') each time. Clutch was OK.

8. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

Valeo is a reputable brand as well as the LUK brand mentioned above. The other brands I have never heard of. They aren't less expensive for no reason (you get what you pay for). Spend the extra money and get quality.

9. Va_Mike

I hope I can resurface the one that is there. Is there a good write up on how to check if they are still good. I have not driven this truck so I don't know anything about it other than the clutch works for taking it out of gear to roll it around the driveway. If I have to get a SMF kit it will probably be the LUK I found it for $280 I seem to recall. I am ok with throwing cheaper parts at something I can get to easily to replace but the clutch is not one of those.