Should I Pull It?

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to here some others people oppions on what I should do with this engine. I have the tranny out to get rebuilt and all the exhaust off so if I decide to pull the engine half of the work is done. What I have is a 1991 engine and I picked up a used Banks non gated turbo. My head gaskets seem to be fine but if I leave it be will they blow out in the near future with the added turbo. Is it worth my while to put in head studs and gaskets and if I have the thing out anway should I be doing anything else to the engine like valve seals? I'm building this truck up for pulling my camper on the weekends so I **** reliablity for longer trips.

Thanks

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
If you have the wallet for it then yes, pull it and update what you can. Its always better to do preventative maintenance than repair. It isnt too bad getting a motor out (providing you have the lift to do it) and then its a straight forward partial teardown and update.

head studs, head gaskets, valve seals, valve cover gaskets, intake gasket, valley pan, glow plugs and belts should cover it ( i think Im forget something though)

punk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do the oil cooler o-rings while its out. That way its so much easier than doing them with the motor still in the truck.

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking about a new set of bb's and a Moose pump. Is the stock fuel pump good enough to keep up with the Moose pump?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be fine but I would probably rather have an electric pump. If you want to go for performance its not a bad idea to pull the engine and add the studs. The ARP ones are pricey but the DPS studs have been sketchy at times. With a Moose that Banks non gated turbo will easily make 15psi without breaking a sweat, and that's about the max you would ever want with stock bolts.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Victor-Reinz gaskets. That was 47,000 miles ago, so far so good, but for some reason the Fel-Pro gaskets seem to get the most votes. I really think that any gasket with the latest updates, IE anything from the last 10 years or so, should be fine if you don't screw up on the prep work and torque sequence.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use Felpro because thats all they build. They do plenty of testing before they sell anything. The international head gaskets are great too but I want something thats done differantly. For all I know International has Felpro make there oem gaskets....:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is there a recomended head gasket for the IDI

I prefer Victor Reinz Gaskets. They have much more experience with high end performance diesels. they make all the OEM gaskets for all those fancy high tech European diesels.
I hit my head gaskets with a few coats of spray Hylomar before installing . Little trick that is common on the european diesels for leak free engines.

Felpro is consumer grade stuff anymore

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Kind of off the subject, but do you have a build thread on your Bronco? Oh, and if it is out, do the maximum work to it possible. It is easier (and cheaper if you add in your time) to do it once.

SWS

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of off the subject, but do you have a build thread on your Bronco? Oh, and if it is out, do the maximum work to it possible. It is easier (and cheaper if you add in your time) to do it once.

SWS

I have not done a build thread on it I have been slowly picking away at it for the last several months. I done a few things like 2" body lift to clear the turbo and new floors and axle bearings and seals so far. Maybe when I'm close to being done I'll do a post with some pics.

I have started to make a list of things to get befor I pull it.
Head studs
Master gasket set and seals (I think it includes valve seals)
Rebuild oil cooler
Glow plugs
Injectors & pump

If there is something that I missed please let me know.

Is it safe to install the engine with the turbo on or should I install the turbo after I put the engine back in.

Thanks

suv7734

Reaction score
I have not done a build thread on it I have been slowly picking away at it for the last several months. I done a few things like 2" body lift to clear the turbo and new floors and axle bearings and seals so far. Maybe when I'm close to being done I'll do a post with some pics.

I have started to make a list of things to get befor I pull it.
Head studs
Master gasket set and seals (I think it includes valve seals)
Rebuild oil cooler
Glow plugs
Injectors & pump

If there is something that I missed please let me know.

Is it safe to install the engine with the turbo on or should I install the turbo after I put the engine back in.

Thanks

You will have to order a valley pan gasket for the intake manifold because they don't come with the gasket set. (valve seals are included with the set though)
An injector installation kit (return lines etc)
What kind of turbo are you running? It's probably going to be easier to install after the engine is in due to access/clearance issues.
You might want to pop the torque convertor out to check the seal while you into it that far.