Should I Pull It?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Horse Nice Bronco. I have a Black '78 and a Black & White '79. They are such a "Built" truck straight from the factory, the IDI transplant must just totally rock. Why go 460 when you can have a real engine. Anyways, which Banks kit is it. The early model with the Square Air Box or the later Sidewinder with the "Cone" style Air Filter and Snail Intake Hat? Also are you running a 3.55 9" in the rear?

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Horse Nice Bronco. I have a Black '78 and a Black & White '79. They are such a "Built" truck straight from the factory, the IDI transplant must just totally rock. Why go 460 when you can have a real engine. Anyways, which Banks kit is it. The early model with the Square Air Box or the later Sidewinder with the "Cone" style Air Filter and Snail Intake Hat? Also are you running a 3.55 9" in the rear?

The turbo is the early one with the square intake. I've heard they are hard to get parts for. I was tossing around the idea of putting in new bushings and seals but it seems not to have much end play so it may not be worth it?

I,m running the 9" with 3.50

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the Sidewinder that had all the hard to come by Mitsubishi parts...but maybe I am wrong.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need on the oil cooler is some new Orings and gaskets. Orings are still a Ford or IH only part I think. The gaskets are available at Advance Auto Parts or at least they were a couple years ago.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The early turbo is easy to get rebuild parts for.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks Early Turbo Parts

BLACKHORSE.. I Talked to BANKS last week about a few parts I needed to get for my WG-Sidewinder and while I had them on the line, I asked about replacement / service parts for the older "Square Box" kit. There were apparently at least three different versions of that kit. Mine has a totally flat top on the air box,,, there was an earlier 6.9 ( I think ) smoother top with all corners rounded. It may say "Rayjay" on the very oldest Turbo housing... There were also two others that he mentioned. What you need to do before calling them is to count your impeller blades. Six sets of two is what you're hoping to find. The "eight sets of two" impeller model they no longer carry parts for. He did say that they can help you with more in depth technical info so you can find service parts from another turbo house, just that they don't carry them any more. Probably just as well as their price to me for just the cartridge was over $1100. Kinda steep for me. They do the rebuilds for about $90 plus parts on the ones they still have parts for. Hope this helps.

On another note, I am interested in doing a 7.3 IDI transplant into my 78 Bronco. I have never seen one to check it out, only heard of them. Can you give me any details about the engine mounts, radiator, coil springs, etc? You can PM me if you want. Any info is appreciated.