Should I Buy It? First Time Diesel Guy

npe3484

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and also new to diesels. I figured this would be the best place to get some advice on a truck I'm looking at.

It's a 1988 F250 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI engine. It has an automatic transmission that he says is a C6. He also said it was rebuilt and had a shift kit installed as well. The truck has 170,000 miles on it. The injectors were changed by the previous owner, but the injection pump has not been changed. He says that it starts right up even during the cold weather we've had here recently. The fuel gauge isn't working and there is a power steering leak from one of the lines.

He said he recently changed the coolant, radiator, and thermostat. Apparently the coolant came out looking very clean. I'm aware of the cavitation issues that plague these trucks which is why I asked him about the coolant.

He said that he recently tested all the glow plugs and the relay and controller and everything is perfect.

Are there any other questions I should ask the seller? Any trouble spots to check out while I'm looking at the truck.

His asking price is $1500, but I would be trading him my 1995 Jeep Cherokee that is worth about that much.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to warn you, that truck won't like the highway very much. Depending on what the gearing is, you may not even be able to do much more than 70 MPH.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sounds like a fair price. The c6 is a good auto tranny or at least the best of the two ford used on this trucks. As stated before it is not the best for highway bc it will just rev the engine higher and consume more fuel but You can put a overdrive/auxiliary tranny like GV or USGear and You'll have a very good combo.

npe3484

Reaction score
Is 65 mph do-able? This truck is about an hour away from me so I'd be taking the highway home. At what speed do you see optimal gas milage?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Is 65 mph do-able? This truck is about an hour away from me so I'd be taking the highway home. At what speed do you see optimal gas milage?

Yes it should be no problem. The comment was that You will be running high rpms with that tranny (depending also on what rear end it has 4.10 higher 3.55 lower rpms) but many use them like that with no problems at all. For this engines You want to stay around 2k rpms most times to maintain normal fuel usage. You can add a gear splitter to make it perfect but it does not mean You can't use it like that on the highway.