Set up gears in dana 60 front

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Does any one have the procedure or a link to set up the pre load and backlash on a dana 60 front . I have serched the tec articles and cant seem to find anything on set up . thanks ED:hail

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very simple - I've done quite a few of these. You are going to need some basic tools and a dial indicator and a torque wrench ft & in lbs.

You basically change two things in a gear change - you can change the pinion in and out and you can change the carrier to the left or the right. Every time you change the pinion depth you will need to change the carrier to the left or the right.

Pre-load is just how much rolling resistance the pinion has when you spin it - it is adjusted by adding or subtracting shims on the neck of the pinion. This is where the in/lbs torque wrench comes into play - once you setup a few sets of gears you won't need it anymore as the feeling is obvious.

The pinion head has some numbers written on the head that will let you know how to adjust your shims - most gear swaps I've done I've been able to just switch the R&P without changing the shims and the pattern is actually really good.

The rule of thumb is to get your back lash into spec and the run the pattern. The BL is very important, you have to get it between .006 and .010 - not a lot of room to play with. Get yourself another set of carrier bearings and hone them out until the slip on and off the carrier, you will be pulling them on and off quite a bit to get the correct adjustment.

This is what you want to see -
You must be registered for see images attach

The pattern could have been a little further away from the center, but this will survive chromoly shafts and 44's no problem.

Put your reading cap on - the link that is listed below is BY FAR the most comprehensive guide you will need to performing a gear swap. Billavista is the man- good luck, the article will give you all of the knowledge you need. Be confident going in and you can just use logic to get the pattern where you need.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

sassyrel

Reaction score
Here is a basic installation instructions from Richmond gear:

http://www.richmondgear.com/01instructions.html

If you've never done one before, you may wanna get some assistance from someone who has. We use a honed out set of bearings to do the set-up, so we only have to pull and press the bearings once.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao DAMN..ive got the very same thing,,from over 30 yrs ago,,when i was doing 44 front gears!!!! makes the job...WAYYYYYYYYYYY easier....

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
THANKS

Thanks Guys , I thought I had a bad pinion bearing, Im not actualy changing gears. The thing was noisy in 4x4 ,Im thinking its not set up right, the gears all look good and the bearings are worn but not pitted, so I ordered a shim and bearing kit from bronco graveyard and will see how it works out. Thanks again ED:thumbsup:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then just reuse original shims or new same thickness, it should be just right. and preload will seem lots tighter with new bearings

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks Russ thats what Im going to do , Im going to check everything before I seal it up just to be sure there isnt something out of tolerance;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online