serious fueling

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's still an inline style pump with a rack to control fuel flow. No way, unless it's built into the front housing of the pump itself, for it to advance or retard timing.

I know Mercedes did it from the rear.:sly:sly:eek:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok, so you're saying back it off from you're running? I'm taking a wild guess, and generic number, at 15* BTDC? So back it down to around 10*? Remember that an inline pump won't advnce or retard the timing at all. That means you have 10* of timing when starting, at idle, at 1500 rpm, 2000 rpm, and so on. At some point you're going to need to add timing to keep up with the burn rate and RPM.

Can you hook up something to the front of the pump, with flyweights, or electronics, that would advance the pump to keep up? Maybe. Think back to Mack, look into their old engines and pump setups. They also have an 'electro-mechanical' version. Search around, you're bound to find something. One hint, it is capable of 13* timing advance from the base setting.

A buddy of mine and I are currently trying to figure out how to adapt one to a P7100 on a Cummins.

And this is why I say I have no worries about the fueling in my build as of yet.

I have no idea about all this yet i got to do some testing, but all i know is at my timing i got now and having it adjusted to were it couldnt retard timing that it was really un happy when it got past 2000 rpm, and at 4000 rpm well it sounded like it was going explode and at 4500 rpm well lets not even talk about it ok:D

Black dawg

Reaction score
I always figured id have to put a mailbox on my hood to clear a p style pump. I dont think the fixed timing would be any more of an issue than it is on the 12 valve. just have to run enough timing to be efficient enough at cruise rpm. I have locked out the timing on several db2s, and it works great with a low fuel rate (less than non turbo) the problem is that timing is advanced with throttle position even with all timing mechs locked because the plungers go out further and contact the ramp on the cam ring sooner.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I always figured id have to put a mailbox on my hood to clear a p style pump. I dont think the fixed timing would be any more of an issue than it is on the 12 valve. just have to run enough timing to be efficient enough at cruise rpm. I have locked out the timing on several db2s, and it works great with a low fuel rate (less than non turbo) the problem is that timing is advanced with throttle position even with all timing mechs locked because the plungers go out further and contact the ramp on the cam ring sooner.

i guess i did neglect to mention my pump is turned up over 2 flats plus i guess with my timing being so high already is why it was so weird for me, but when i get my injectors back in and do some little pump mods i will start playing around to see if i can ever find the perfect spot for it

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always figured id have to put a mailbox on my hood to clear a p style pump. I dont think the fixed timing would be any more of an issue than it is on the 12 valve.

1 HUGE difference. In-direct versus direct injection. In all my research on Hypermax's inline pumped IDI from the early 90's, I've never been able to get a straight answer on if it was still IDI or if it indeed was converted to DI. And that motor was competition use only anyways.

Highly cranked timing on a 12 valve isn't all that drivable, nor does it start easily, and it does somewhat limit the powerband to the higher RPM's.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I still dont think it will be a problem, timing on a db2 only changes about 4 degrees, not countin cold advance. I think that the accuracy of a helix port controlled, delivery valve for each hole pump would more than offset anny negatives from fixed timing.