Second Fuel Shut Off Solenoid in 1 1/2 years

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My second solenoid has shorted out again. First time was just over a year or so ago. What would cause it to short out?

Last time I used I a jumper wire from the battery to get me home, but this time it wouldn't even click. Last time I got with 10 of going into my garage before it melted, smoked, and shorted out.

Also, all my fuses test good. I don't have power to the solenoid nor to my glow plugs. My fuse diagram has no listing for the solenoid. Am I overlooking a fusible link somewhere?

My problem has only happened since I put the Moose pump on.

Also, I found a '92 F450 Super Duty, IDI n/a, 5 speed, long wheel base with a flatbed for $2k at the junk yard. Looks like I am going to have a new horse in the garage soon :)

Last edited:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fss, high idle, cold advance, and maybe gpc are all run off of a fusible link.

Transmission shifted as always on the way home.

Connecting a jumper wire to the solenoid makes it click and touching the jumper wire going to the wire from the harness makes the glow plugs cycle. I fear I have a burned wire........some where :rolleyes:

Which wire from the ignition switch goes to the solenoid? Also, how much amperage is supposed to go to the solenoid? My jumper wire is sparking pretty good.

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Never said anything about a transmission. Lol

Like I said, all of that stuff is run off of one fusible link in the engine compartment.
I'd say 5A max for the solenoid, I can test it and get a pic of the fusible link in about an hour.
The fuse link is 10a iirc.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Fuse link passenger side, two wires into one.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

My fss pulls 3.28A.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the solenoids in these trucks. I do have a lot of experience with solenoids in industry. What will cause a solenoid to overheat and burn up in a hurry is operating without the metal plunger inside it. In other words, if the coil is removable and you put power to it with it sitting in your hand, it will burn up in short order. It happens all the time when people are troubleshooting and forget to put a screwdriver or something metal inside the coil when it's energized.

Usually intermittent failures like this in industry(hydraulic solenoids, air solenoids, etc) are caused by a mechanical problem with the plunger inside the core. If it sticks and doesn't pull into the windings all the way, they will eventually burn up.

Like I said I have never had the fuel shut off solenoid in my hand that goes in these pumps, so I do not know if it's possible for the plunger to stick and not pull into the center of the coil. But if it can stick, I bet that's your problem.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the solenoids in these trucks. I do have a lot of experience with solenoids in industry. What will cause a solenoid to overheat and burn up in a hurry is operating without the metal plunger inside it. In other words, if the coil is removable and you put power to it with it sitting in your hand, it will burn up in short order. It happens all the time when people are troubleshooting and forget to put a screwdriver or something metal inside the coil when it's energized.

Usually intermittent failures like this in industry(hydraulic solenoids, air solenoids, etc) are caused by a mechanical problem with the plunger inside the core. If it sticks and doesn't pull into the windings all the way, they will eventually burn up.

Like I said I have never had the fuel shut off solenoid in my hand that goes in these pumps, so I do not know if it's possible for the plunger to stick and not pull into the center of the coil. But if it can stick, I bet that's your problem.

That's what I was thinking too but I also don't know exactly how the FSS works in these pumps.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
It's a 30 year old farm truck. I've looked at that connection and decided it's not worth my time. it's on the "fix eventually" list.
This thing might not be around much longer anyway, it needs a cab swap or a trip to the junkyard.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, why are you looking for a new solenoid if it works when it's jumpered? You said no fuses are blown, but you have no power to the solenoid. I feel like you have a wiring issue, not a solenoid issue...

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a manual fuel shut off available for theese pumps. You would need a new top cover and a cable routed to the dashboard. It would be like most heavy diesel's and farm /construction equipment.