sea foam advice

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all,
Its been a while since my last post,but today I had to change the valve cover gasket on the passenger side, got it off and found a film of greasy oil covering everything. What is the best way to flush the motor out? I heard sea foam was good, but how much to use and how long to run it.Or any other idea's. thanks .The motor is a 93 idi with 114,000 on it

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
NO NO NO RUN FORREST RUN!
Seriously, don't use seafoam! Its bad, VERY BAD! It took out a main seal on my freshly rebuilt mitsubishi turbo engine and now i can't drive it until I get the $750 to tear the thing down again and put a new seal in it.
DON'T USE IT!
It has too many harsh solvents in it.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Marvel Mystery Oil works good.

SeaFoam in the spray can is great for cleaning out 2-strokes I would not put it in the oil though.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. Where can i pick up some auto rx?? I use the marvel oil in my fuel, how much would it take for a motor flush before a oil change?????????

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO NO NO RUN FORREST RUN!
Seriously, don't use seafoam! Its bad, VERY BAD! It took out a main seal on my freshly rebuilt mitsubishi turbo engine and now i can't drive it until I get the $750 to tear the thing down again and put a new seal in it.
DON'T USE IT!
It has too many harsh solvents in it.

I am not saying you did anything wrong, maybe you had a good reason, but why did you have to run it through a freshly rebuilt engine, shouldn't it have been clean already? Is it rear main or front main, surely you could fix it for cheaper?

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet

Hey, thanks for the link, that stuff sounds pretty good, I will have to try it.But I am driving to Ohio from Nebraska soon and i don't have the time to wait on it,Napa did not have any so I went with 2 cans of Napa 5min engine flush,poured it in ran at idle for 5min,drained then changed the oil and filter with fleet valvoline 15-40 and 2 bottles of lucas oil stabalizer,it was over 50.00$ for the supplies, but i hope it helps for the 1800 mile trip, there and back.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I am not saying you did anything wrong, maybe you had a good reason, but why did you have to run it through a freshly rebuilt engine, shouldn't it have been clean already? Is it rear main or front main, surely you could fix it for cheaper?

I had let a friend drive my car, ran it hard and shut it off right away after getting done with screwing off in it, I was afraid they'd coaked up the turbo so I ran the correct amount through it. Took out one of the seals up front, guessing its the front main because of the amount pouring out.
The to repair the front main seal you have to remove the water pump, which entails pulling the timing belt, balance shafts, timing belt tensioner, oil pump drive and a few other misc items. When you pull some of those items it is advised to replace them. Not to mention the water pump costs almost $350 in itself.