Scored a Zf5!!

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scored a zf5 and a spare transfer case but sadly it came connected to a zf5 that I have to some how sell but that's a problem for future me.

The e40d I believe is dying as I just couldn't get it to shift right with even a new TPS sensor so I let it sit for few weeks and when I went to get the transmission combo it shifted flawlessly until about 5 miles of driving and got worse the longer it ran. So that zf5 will hopefully be thrown in to the truck within two months and will be my first manual transmission.

Don't worry guys the 7.3 idi will not be going anywhere, I do not like powerstrokes.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think he's got a spare tcase to sell.

Actually, there's a few better bolt-on tcases as the years progressed (fixed yoke).

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF5 came connected to a ZF5 or a 7.3idi?
It's connected to a powerstroke that I'm going to try and get 800$ for. It's got everything but the computer that goes under the dash.....big pile of wires for it lol

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's got a spare tcase to sell.

Actually, there's a few better bolt-on tcases as the years progressed (fixed yoke).
Yup, it has a spare t-case. I got a 7.3 powerstroke and 1 computer and all the wiring, zf5 and transfer case. It came out of a wrecked OBS and as soon as I unbolt the zf5 from the powerstroke that powerstroke is going up on Facebook marketplace

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
What year did you find? 96-97 had the zf5-s47 and sometimes the fixed yoke tcase.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year did you find? 96-97 had the zf5-s47 and sometimes the fixed yoke tcase.
The guy said it came out his friends 97 although it might be older then that. Overall everything looks to be in great shape and I'm pretty excited to get that zf5 installed

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a ZF5 give you a more reasonable highway speed? (vs my 60mph C6)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from a c6 to a zf and its worth every penny and scraped knuckle to do it. Changing nothing else I gained 3mpg over the c6. And you can actually keep up with traffic going 70mph + without worrying about the engine blowing up, and you can actually have a normal conversation with the passenger riding with you without yelling over top all the noise.

To the original thread starter; Once you get your zf installed, if it grinds sometimes when you put it in reverse don't panic. Both of the zf's I have driven have done that. You get used to pushing in on the clutch, putting it in reverse, and then slowly letting out on the clutch while still holding pressure on the shifter into reverse. Sometimes it goes right in, sometimes it will drop in further when you slowly let out on the clutch. If you do that, it never makes that terrible grinding noise.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal on the zf5! My 86 originally had a c6 with a gearvendor od, but I just didn't trust the gearvendor. I went to a t19, which is super sweet in 1st and 2ond for pulling, but I eventually scored the amazing OD potential of the zf5. I really like doing over 60 and turning less than 2500rpms, but first gear in a t19 is swweeeeet! Honestly I even like the roll over noise, it sounds tough like your driving an ancient semi....... pulling a dinosaur..... through gravel.....

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The overdrive probably helps immensely as my current transmission which is a e40d will easily max out my US speedometer at 85mph. Gear ratio probably plays a roll as well since mine is 3.55 I suspect the zf5 to give slightly better economy after I nail the shifting but that's to be seen

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal on the zf5! My 86 originally had a c6 with a gearvendor od, but I just didn't trust the gearvendor. I went to a t19, which is super sweet in 1st and 2ond for pulling, but I eventually scored the amazing OD potential of the zf5. I really like doing over 60 and turning less than 2500rpms, but first gear in a t19 is swweeeeet! Honestly I even like the roll over noise, it sounds tough like your driving an ancient semi....... pulling a dinosaur..... through gravel.....
Believe it or not I paid 1400$ for the whole set! Guy originally wanted 1700 but all said and done 1400 was a number I thought was to good to pass up.

If it makes it sound more mechanical I'm all for that too, I love the sound of the IDI and will love that too

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to get there with that attitude. My '85 Benz with the M110 straight six (gas) sounds like a sewing machine and I absolutely love it. Especially in the high revs.
This is my 1st diesel and I didn't know about the low top speed and noise before I bought it.
My backup plan for this truck is to change the engine to gas (blasphemy here, I know) but I'm gonna stick with it for a while because my goal was to have a mechanically-simple truck with no computer or emissions crap.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 4:10. I'm a slow poke and really don't like to drive over 65mph if I don't have to. At 2000rpms I'm doing 60 in OD, the motor isn't screaming and I'm content. I drive rural routes for FedEx ground, and am in everyone's back yard with a legitimate excuse. So, believe it or not, I actually pulled up to a house to deliver some stuff and there was a zf5 with the diesel bellhouseing just sitting on board under the carport. I tracked the home owner down and asked about it. Apperintly, a buddy of his had pulled it and just left it there several months before, long story short, he just wanted it gone. So into the FedEx truck it went. I studied it, everything was tight and in she went. It's doesn't have a hole for a speedometer but who needs a speedometer anyway, they have phone apps for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01