Rust Proofing YES!

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s. our US military just uses the CARC to paint there vehicles. Witch works really well. I assume it is expensive though. I may try and get my hands on this stuff, when applied to metal it works. If you where feeling ghetto, you can actually hand paint this stuff to. Ask me how I know that...

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carc is nasty stuff and works no better than any other paint.

Do yourself and anyone around you a favor and leave that **** in the motor pool where it belongs.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CARC IS just like any other paint not a super rust inhibitor. The rust on my XM818, M123, and my old M35 prove it. Rusty rockers, beds, fenders, and even the cab and roof on the 123.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know mercedes and a few other european cars used to use a strip of undercoating along the lower exterrior body metal and doors for a number of years to deflect rocks and in turn prevent paint from beinc chipped, which allows the metal to be easily accessed by salt and water leading to rust ( and most folks just thought the black stripe looked cool :D it''s really a good thing to consider if repainting, but take it down to good metal and PRIME well

Thhen of course, there are the italian cars , that rust in a sealed room, just looking at them, Some vehicles were painted in poor moisture control conditions and it doesnt matter what you do , you will get rust. The jokers in Texas that make those outrageously expensive Western Hauler beds like I have should be shot for the crap metal prep and air filtreation they have in their paint shop. I've been working on my bed and finally came to the conclusion that I'm going to have to just sandblast the whole stinking thing down to bare metal because they shot in high humidity and didnt use metal prep before priming, the thing is one giant speckled rust monster waiting to come out , from under teh paint. ( and none of this has anything to do with salt, they dont use it around here)

m885

Reaction score
p.s. our US military just uses the CARC to paint there vehicles. Witch works really well. I assume it is expensive though. I may try and get my hands on this stuff, when applied to metal it works. If you where feeling ghetto, you can actually hand paint this stuff to. Ask me how I know that...

BUT they also spray/wipe it down with an oil to prevent water penetration. My M885 gets sprayed twice a year an is rust free since 1976. And she is a real snowhore with the white coating of salt on her to prove it.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT they also spray/wipe it down with an oil to prevent water penetration. My M885 gets sprayed twice a year an is rust free since 1976. And she is a real snowhore with the white coating of salt on her to prove it.
Nothing has been sprayed with oil in years.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nothing has been sprayed with oil in years.

Yeah, Id kind of think that the world environmental folks would have a major hissy if military fleets were spraying down their undercarrages with oils and then fording sensative waterways :eek:

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Id kind of think that the world environmental folks would have a major hissy if military fleets were spraying down their undercarrages with oils and then fording sensative waterways :eek:
You should be around for an environmental inspection when a truck has an oil leak. Talk about a long drawn out ordeal.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Imron or Industrial Imron. My uncle is a paint and body guy had his own shop for 46yrs until he retired and he uses this stuff. he showed me a test panel that he painted and then hit with a ball pien hammer. it put a 3/4" deep dent in and never so much as a scratch was left. the only other two thing i know about it are that it is tricky to shoot and expensive, but i know it works

Last edited:

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Imron or Industrial Imron. My uncle is a paint and body guy had his own shop for 46yrs until he retired and he uses this stuff. he showed me a test panel that he painted and then hit with a ball pien hammer. it put a 3/4" deep dent in and never so much as a scratch was left. the only other two thing i know about it are that it is tricky to shoot and expensive, but i know it works

Imron is a polyurethane and is good stuff. Almost every paint supplier has a generic version of it for ALOT cheaper and works just as well. The problem with Imron is that its a b***h to color sand and buff which is why its not used much for finish coating. You pretty much gotta nail it down straight outta the gun. It does work well for chassis stuff but epoxy based paints are much cheaper and work just as well for that.