Running rough

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
1993 f250 IDI. The truck started something new when you start it it idols great for about 20 seconds then starts running really rough. stalls out. Then it takes about a minute of cranking to get it to start and idols fine. After that it runs fine.

Now it will run rough out of nowhere. No rhyme or reason. For a few seconds and then it’s fine.

Injectors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be getting air into the fuel system.

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
95 percent of time it runs perfect it’s hard explain what it’s doing every once a while when I’m cruising just down the road it acts as if I pushed the Excelerator down and it starts to take off. The motor is not running away because once I let off the pedal it goes right back down to idling actually it runs rough for a little bit until it straightens itself out. And even warm it is smoking a little more than normal which normal was once it was warm it didn’t really smoke before now it’s smokes a little bit. After last year‘s plow season it ran perfectly fine I didn’t have any proms with it it didn’t smoke at all it sat all summer and now since it hasn’t been run in a while it’s running like this. With all of the recent snow I’ve probably put about four tanks of fuel through it so far.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the above, you have air getting into the system. How much fuel is in the tanks? Mechanical or electric fuel pump? What, if anything have you touched or replaced in the fuel system. These questions will help us point you in the right direction.

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
And I only have one tank the other one was removed it does it whether the truck is full with fuel I actually don’t ever let it get below half really. I was thinking maybe the injection pump is starting to go

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me with the sudden acceleration and chocking out ended up being the tank switch mounted on the frame wasn't letting fuel in not enough that is

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Taking it in this week for an injection pump $700 installed doesn’t seem bad

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Injector pumps don't cause that sort of thing. They either don't start, or get really retarded/advanced/sticky... but don't cause stuff like this.

Air is the cause of a *lot* of idi problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance