Running new fuel lines

teach

Reaction score
So I have been having troubles with air intrusion. After searching around I found the culprit. The guy before me installed a frame mounted electric pump and added a splice to connect the pieces that were originally on either side of the mech pump. The spice is leaking fuel so I assume air is getting in too. To alleviate any future issues I am going to run new lines from the tank selector switch to the fuel filter. Also I think I'm going to move the fuel pump under the hood.

Before I start I have a couple questions?

1- is putting the pump under the hood better than the frame?

2- what size and type of fuel line should I use?

Thanks in advance.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the e-pump. Most e-pumps are "pushers" not "pullers". Meaning, they like to be a close to the tank as possible, or on the dual tank trucks, as close the the FSV as possible. This is why so many gasser pumps are in the tank. The exception to this is the Facet Duralift (Carrier Transcold) e-pump. These are designed for Refer trailers. On these the tank is mounted under the trailer, near the "landing gear", and the pump is mounted up with the engine on the front of the trailer. These are one of the only "puller" e-pumps out there, as it will lift fuel 10ft by design. They actually do not like to have "head pressure" against them from the weight of fuel, we've had a few members here that have had to move their pump from the frame to have them work properly.

I would get diesel rated fuel line, and I think it is 3/8 for the supply side. (If I am wrong on that , some will be along to give the correct size.)

teach

Reaction score
Well maybe I should leave the pump where it is until it dies then get the duralift. I'll just fix the wiring, it has a wonderful wiring job now. It's speaker wire shoved into the fuse block.

I thought it looked like 3/8 I just wanted to double check. So just regular diesel rated rubber line?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, regular 3/8s diesel rated line, and you can buy the quick disconnect ends. The stock lines have a run of metal tube from the drivers side, under the engine, and over to the lift pump, I'd recommend leaving that in place due to the proximity to exhaust/engine heat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
3/8 is supply and return is 5/16. Most electric fuel pumps are pushers and not suckers. As posted the duralift is a sucker but so is the Carrier pumps found on any refer trailer unit. See where they suck fuel from way back at the trailer spare tire and all the way up to the engine high at the front of the trailers. Those pumps suck in a good way..:thumbsup:

teach

Reaction score
Yes, regular 3/8s diesel rated line, and you can buy the quick disconnect ends. The stock lines have a run of metal tube from the drivers side, under the engine, and over to the lift pump, I'd recommend leaving that in place due to the proximity to exhaust/engine heat.

I went out and looked at it again and I see the metal line you are talking about is it quick connects on each end of it or can I clamp rubber hose to it?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can clamp the metal end, but I'd keep the quick disconnect on the FSV... Don't wanna clamp on that plastic

teach

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. I suppose I have a project for tomorrow. Now I just have to do my best to keep diesel out of my hair.